YES or NO to this paint job idea (1 Viewer)

What do you think of a flat black hood and roof on a brown 60?

• Flat black hood and roof would look good

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Flat black hood and roof would look crappy

Votes: 40 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I finally have the 1985 FJ60 out of the shop and it's running pretty well. My mechanic told me a basic paint job for this the truck would be about $900 and that's with me removing the trim pieces myself.

I don't have $900.

I was thinking about the getting the roof and hood painted flat black. The roof and hood are the worst in shape. The hood appears to have the beginnings of rust. The 60 is brown by the way. I think it might look ok but I'm worried about hurting my chances of selling it to another LC lover in the future.

What do you think?

Hood as matt black would be ok but not the roof.If you want to do the hood yourself I suggest blackboard paint.prep with a light rub down and spray with etch primer(one spray can would be plenty).
You can paint the blackboard paint with a brush and the brush marks will melt out as it finds it's own level and dries.

Hood as matt black would be ok but not the roof.If you want to do the hood yourself I suggest blackboard paint.prep with a light rub down and spray with etch primer(one spray can would be plenty).
You can paint the blackboard paint with a brush and the brush marks will melt out as it finds it's own level and dries.

And when you go to sell it just put FOR SALE in chalk across the hood and in the mean time you can draw on flames or racing stripes.

And when you go to sell it just put FOR SALE in chalk across the hood and in the mean time you can draw on flames or racing stripes.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now that is funny. I have seen some amazing chalk art, it might work better than you think!

flat back hood, OK, but you'll bake under the black roof...why not stay in the cruiser lines, and go with an off white for the roof ;)

White roof, brown hood.

I was thinking of painting my whole 60 white, and then leaving the center bodyline stripe (from the fender vent back) factory color. I think it would look sweet in a retro sort of way.

But if you must stray from factory color, I'd go with white. It'll cut down on the heat and there's sort of a tradition of land cruisers with white roofs.

Speaking from experience, white hoods suck to drive into the setting sun.

'Normal' flat black, like you'd get out of a rattle can, is fairly porous and won't help or fix your rust problem. The flat paint used on commercial & DOT truck hoods is a special paint that ain't cheep!

No idea of your location (hint, hint), but I'll second a white or off-white roof. If you're determined to get a flat black hood look into a vinyl wrap or partial wrap for it. Might be less than the correct hood paint.

White roof, brown hood.

I was thinking of painting my whole 60 white, and then leaving the center bodyline stripe (from the fender vent back) factory color. I think it would look sweet in a retro sort of way.

But if you must stray from factory color, I'd go with white. It'll cut down on the heat and there's sort of a tradition of land cruisers with white roofs.

DSCN1185.jpg

Rattle can the whole thing with rustoleum camo paint any of the colors or all and make a sweet camo design.

Get rid of the rust, etching primer, and do the roll-on Rustoleum thing. Definitely off white for the roof. There is at least one thread on Mud about a Rustoleum paint job. Lots of other sites, too. Lots of elbow grease needed, but cheap.

Get rid of the rust, etching primer, and do the roll-on Rustoleum thing. Definitely off white for the roof. There is at least one thread on Mud about a Rustoleum paint job. Lots of other sites, too. Lots of elbow grease needed, but cheap.

I HAVE to ask it. Call me a dummy, but what is "elbow grease"?:confused::) I still don't know...

elbow grease is a way to say hard work. in that context "lots of work needed but cheap".

elbow grease is a way to say hard work. in that context "lots of work needed but cheap".

Thanx! Again a little bit wiser:)

Thanks for all the input. I would need to see a white on brown LC before considering that combo. This is coming from a guy driving a white on black cherry FJC. I forgot about the heat issue with black cars. It's a good point since I live in the hot valley of Los Angeles county.

I may consider painting the hood myself. Maybe for the roof, I'll just treat the rust and leave it primered? I'll do more research on rust treatment.

Thanks again.

Don't leave primer, unless you seal it some how as primer is not paint and is pourus it'll rust under the primer.

I don't think the black roof looks so bad on a brown 60...

The PO did mine in Line-X after he welded up the roof-rack holes, and then never reinstalled the headliner. VERY hot ceiling in there, so I lined it with Reflectix, and it made a HUGE difference. Someday I'll put in some kind of headliner: probably not the factory liner, but rather some more modern headliner fabric glued to the Reflectix, instead. Don't need it to extend down the A/B/C/D pillars, just want it on the ceiling.

For now, though, I kinda like the disco look. :grinpimp:
IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2160.jpg

I've been considering rhino-lining the roof of my cruiser black, but was discouraged by the heat issue...that insulator looks like a good solution though.

I think the black and brown looks good compared to other options. Does anyone have it done in a tan color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom