Yellow HZJ 78 troopy (2001) build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Water system

There is an 80 liter water tank behind the driver’s seat. A Shurflo Trail King water pump pumps this water through our system. A small pre-filter is added to protect the pump.

View attachment 2846814

Water tubes go to a faucet above the kitchen and a shower outlet. The faucet is for drinking water only. A seagull marine water filtration system filters this water underneath the sink.

For hot water and / or a shower system, I looked into a lot of systems. I do not like the diesel / propane / electric boilers, given that they look burdensome, are expensive and take up a lot of space. I liked the heat exchanger units that use the engine’s coolant and can be installed in the engine bay but was not keen on cutting into the coolant hoses + engine bay space was at a premium. Thankfully, the troopy had a rear heater that was abundant. First, it was removed:

View attachment 2846815

Instead of connecting the 2 pieces of coolant hose (which is often done when the heater is removed), a 30 plate heat exchanger was installed where the heater used to be, and installed permanently in the side panel behind the passenger seat, nicely out of the way.

View attachment 2846819

Although this is still a shower system that taps into the engine, it required no cutting into fuel hoses. To be sure, I nevertheless installed a 12v water sensor with an alarm below the heat exchanger, just in case a leak would occur at the heat exchanger (either coolant or water). The hot water from the exit side of the heat exchanger and a cold water hose are routed to this thermostat at the backside of the car:

View attachment 2846817

We usually run the car for a couple of minutes before hot water is readily available.

To avoid draining the water tank too fast, there is an additional, external input. It can be put into any additional water source, but we usually use a jerrycan that can be easily filled when on the road. In places where free (drink)water is more difficult to come by, we can use water from a river as well (as the water from the jerrycan will be used for showering only). The water is pre-filtered before running through the water system (with an Icepure 5 micron inline sediment filter). It does not render the water potable, but does eliminate most larger sediments, to avoid damage to our system.

View attachment 2846818

The setup works great, having a (1HZ-) shower while travelling for a long time is game changer when it comes to being comfortable.
@ofer bruhis check out this similar system we've been chatting about!

@ofer bruhis check out this similar system we've been chatting about!
Yes, I like! Not only the water but the whole set up is very impressive. Water system very similar to our 80 series except our tanks (one hot and one cold) are stainless and external and we preheat the 12.5gal hot water tank to 130F so we have unlimited hot water without the engine running. Also we low pressure the tank so there is no pumps running when camping at night around other rigs. I am debating about our troopy build, but at this point I'm at least 6-8 months away from making a decision. :)

Yes, I like! Not only the water but the whole set up is very impressive. Water system very similar to our 80 series except our tanks (one hot and one cold) are stainless and external and we preheat the 12.5gal hot water tank to 130F so we have unlimited hot water without the engine running. Also we low pressure the tank so there is no pumps running when camping at night around other rigs. I am debating about our troopy build, but at this point I'm at least 6-8 months away from making a decision. :)

I putting the long ranger stainless tank 55L under the cab not sure about the heat exchanger plate and quality on amazon... decision decision

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom