yanmar 6lyp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi iam rebuilding a bj40 & got this engine (6lyp yanmar) its out of a boat so would need a few parts but dose any body know if it would go in, ive been told a lancrusier box would fit & go in ?

The Yanmar 6LP series is the boat version of the Toyota 1HDFT engines. They are amazing engines.
However, to run it in a truck you will need to make changes, such as adjusting the injection pump professionally to your application. Also the intake manifold is completely different in the boat version, the water line routing is different, and many small parts are not the same. You will likely be missing a pulley too, probably there is no A/C system, and the engine mounts are different. The valve cover is more similar to the 1HDFTE, and so is the gasket. The pistons themselves have a slightly different shape on top, but you can ignore that. Your injection pump likely does not have an rpm sensor either.
Anyway, it can be done, and the engines are great.

What's said above ^

If you can find some HDT/HZ donor parts and a good used tranny, you will be laughing.
That motor has the highest volume injection pump you can get, and will likely be a torque monster out of the box.
Yes you will need the pump adjusted for timing advance/ load sensing start of injection, but that's really only a few hours on a test bench and a few parts.

The cooling and exhaust you will likely need to pay special attention to, as they are marine specific, and may have extra passages in places like cylinder head and oil cooler.. Not sure about that one.
I'd say if you've got the time and place for it, go for it. Any tranny that fits behind a 1hdt or 1hz should fit that motor. And if not, a plate can always be made.
Keep us posted.

Yes, the pump has a 14mm plunger and can move a lot of fuel.
The cylinder head has the same passages and the head gasket is identical to the 1HDFT. One difference in the head is that the valve cover is on there within many more bolts, hence the cover itself is different, and the gasket.
The block is the same too, just the water pipe that is pressed in there is turned backwards instead of upward. Easily fixed by a machine shop.
The oil cooler is identical.
The output shaft/crank is the same too, and any H150 or H151 for a 1HZ, 1HDT or 1HDFT(E) will fit. Same with the automatics.
cheers,
J

Hey......maybe I should be looking in the Yanmar marine engine section of Yahoo auctions instead of the 80 series parts area.....haha

Guy I know in the fishing charter business has a pair of these (315 HP) in a Bertram 35 in Lahaina. Something like 15,000 hours on them without pulling heads- just careful maintenance. These things make big power because of the availability of an ocean full of cold water- hard to replicate on the highway... It is worth much more as a complete marine unit than a truck engine...

It is worth much more as a complete marine unit than a truck engine...

Yes ,I saw one somewhere for 30000 euros new. Not sure if it was mistake or not. If I had one laying around I would be inclined to sell it off as a marine engine and use the money to buy a landcruiser engine.

Do you know if the starter or alternator for the yanmar will work on the 1HD-FT?

Alternators are cheap in comparison!

The alternator is the same, as far as I know. The Yanmar starter, I do not know. However, a 1HZ, 1HDT, 1HDFT starter will bolt up, as the flywheel is the same and the bell housing of the Toyota engines bolts right up (as the block is the same).
J

Starter and alt may mount the same, but most marine applications have spark-less alts and starters. This should not be an issue, with the exception of costs.

Contact Michael Hein who owns westcoastcruisers.com
He has done this exact conversion, knows all the ins and outs, and the result is awesome.
Scot
(oops, I guess I commented on a very old thread.)

Last edited:
I wondering if the Yanmar has a different cam. Surely someone can check part numbers.

Not much need for big low end torque with a propellor.

You need to check the voltage, most marine diesels are 24 volt.

Video on the 370HP V8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom