Yamaha TW200 rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
I just got (for free) an 87 Yamaha TW200 bike. :eek::D

Very cool, same story, it did run but blah blah blah...

Anyways, it's at home and I've begun to start the repairs. Pulled the tank, it's leaking, I either need to seal or get a new tank.

At the moment I have no Spark. I've tried the old pull the plug, put it on the cylinder and kick it over but no fire. Even with the battery charger plugged in showing full juice, no spark. No electric start either, thats not working. When I check the coil I dont' have any power to it with key on. I would assume I should?

Now in the second picture, it shows I have power from the battery to this relay (assuming it's the starter relay) but none on the other side, which I shouldn't unless I'm trying to start.

Any other thoughts on where to go/start?

pics, the bike, wiring
100_1347.JPG
wiring1.jpg

Sorry, no help from me, but COOL bike! Good luck.

Coil failure is pretty common on older 4-stroke Yamahas.

Cool, I'll check avrider, I've looked on there before.

I think I remember something about the coil failure. Anyone know how to test the coil?

Ben-

Might want to try these folks out as well.

Good people and good info:

TW200 forum

:beer:

Ben-

Might want to try these folks out as well.

Good people and good info:

TW200 forum

thatnks Poser, I found that yesterday. From the sounds of it, I think the neutral sensor may be causing some issues. I can use a screwdriver to jumper the starter relay and it turns over, just no spark.

I downloaded a FSM so I'll start the tear down into that.

no help but i can say i have charged some insane single track trails on the 85-86 BW versions that were not road legal, we geared them down a a few teeth and could haul out quarter of an elk on the rear racks... ours ran ridiculously well for YEARS... great bikes.

I had to track this pick down.... we want on some pretty hairy single track with all of us on that rig... thinking this was taken in 93ish.. i am on the very back....
bwriding.JPG

Last edited:
nice pics!

I got the bike started and running this weekend. Needs some adjustment here and there, but overall, I"m super happy!

thought I'd post an update...

Pro-Grip 791's
Tusk roost guards
New Oil and Filter
Seat is getting recovered
Rebuilt carb
Junkyard bar risers

Still need to do:
Baja Designs rear LED taillight
New Fork Seals
Seal Savers
New/used gas tank
New muffler

She's running pretty good, I haven't got to mess around too much yet because of the tank, (leaking slowly)
tw200new.jpg

Ben, that is looking pretty sweet! I'm gonna look around for an "inexpensive" one to play with. :steer:

Ben, that is looking pretty sweet! I'm gonna look around for an "inexpensive" one to play with. :steer:

they are out there. I just turned 18,000 miles last night coming home from work.. :eek: Still runs great!

here's the most current pic.

attachment.php

Hey FJBEN, sorry to comment on an old thread, but I just got an 87 TW for next to nuthin and have the same issues

Starter Button Doesn't Work and when I jump the starter relay (solenoid) I don't have spark...

What exactly was wrong with your bike? How'd you get it running?

Thanks much,
TeeDubs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom