XXX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're the only guy I know who can make paint look like bedliner.

Jon says it's going to be Dune Beige.

For some reason he won't let me anywhere near it with a spray gun. :confused:

DUNE BEIGE?????????

How will we tell them apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

By the driver's haircut?

Jon, Steve and I got together yesterday and decided to modify a 55 steering to fit in the 40. This is for a 60 series power steering upgrade that's planned.
The first pic is of the targeted area where the plate needs to be mounted.
Next you have Jon & Steve working on taking apart the donor column and getting it ready.
Third is the blank plate cut and ready to be prepped.
steeringcolfab 001.jpg
steeringcolfab 002.jpg
steeringcolfab 003.jpg

Next it was getting the plate where it needed to go and transfering some marks that were made on the firewall to locate the column.
After the holes were driled and cut everthing was put back in place and tacked. Then removed and completed welding off the truck.
Lastly the column in it's final position.
On another note it looks like painting will be mid Jan due to the holidays and club events the first 2 Saturdays in Jan. But it seems like a lot of other work can still be done.
steeringcolfab 004.jpg
steeringcolfab 005.jpg
steeringcolfab 006.jpg

Tom, I had mentioned to Jon that at this phase, you could modify the bracket that holds the column under the dash to tuck the column up higher, giving the driver more room behind the steering wheel. I did this on my 45 when I did the P.S. and netted about 3/4" more room behind the wheel.

Did you guys lock at/do that?

Best

Mark A.

Actually Jon brought the seat with him and we set that in and then Jon got in and we actually changed the pitch on the column slightly to gain some height on the wheel.

Actually Jon brought the seat with him and we set that in and then Jon got in and we actually changed the pitch on the column slightly to gain some height on the wheel.

Yes, I noticed the 'lower' than customary position of the column as it passes thru the firewall anchor plate. I'm sure that helped a lot.:)

Lookin'good

I just want to add that Tom is a wizard at guest-imating the geometry. I'd be in there with protractors and such , he just takes a couple of quick reference measurements with his tape, eyeballs it from a couple of angles and then proceeds to fab up the perfect fit. He'll claim it takes him three tries to do everything like this so either his is just being modest or he was incredibly lucky yesterday.

Steve had a ball with welding some spacers for the tire carrier. Unfortunately he left one for me to finish. I did the grinding on one end, then tried my hand with the MIG welder to cap the other end. Let's just say my tack welds were tacky looking, and I had to do a heck of a lot of grinding on the rest of my welds. I blame my bifocals and the fact that I am not used to having my welding probe shooting out of the torch like that (a friend wanted some laughs so he let me try my hand at TIG 30 years ago; I prefer TIG). Fortunately, Tom was occupied elsewhere and got no photographic evidence before I removed all evidence with the grinder.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP YESTERDAY (Actually they did all the real work, I just did the worrying whenever Tom got close to my tub with a power tool).

:D Oh, and I forgot to mention how Steve in his Bass Add FJ62 nearly got stuck on Tom's driveway. Unfortunately, he saw me whip out my cellphone camera and goosed the throttle to get out of his predicament before I could capture the moment to share with everyone.

How about an update from you two.....pics, progress, anything?

And as funny as it was all most getting stuck in the driveway its even funnier that i got to weld stuff for your truck, i don't know how to weld :flipoff2:

Jon was over this weekend and has been cleaning and painting a lot of his misc. parts. Here's some pictures of the parts he's done in pewter.
pewterparts.jpg
pewterparts1.jpg
pewterparts3.jpg

Thanks to Tom for all the help and documenting the build to boot! And thanks to Steve as well for all his help prepping and painting! This club has the best members!

Most of the parts have an olive green-like self-etching primer underneath so the Silver (Pewter) paint from JT Outfitters over the olive primer gives it a slight olive cast that looks close to some of the original parts we've been comparing it to, not perfect, but close enough for this rebuild. The flash is picking up the metal flake in the paint and showing as more silver than it looks in natural light. Overall, I'd say the JT outfitters paint looks good. And one can goes a longggggg way too.

off to paint

We got Jon's 40 off to the paint shop yesterday to get some paint on it prior to assembly. Thinks went pretty good, had a few issues with the paint seperating in random spots for no real apparant reason. After we get it assemblied Pete's going to come by and help us prep it for the final paint.

Here's a few picks of the day
jon's tub going to paint 004.jpg
jon's tub going to paint 007.jpg
jon's tub going to paint 009.jpg

more pics
jon's tub going to paint 012.jpg
jon's tub going to paint 013.jpg
jon's tub going to paint 015.jpg

and a couple more
jon's tub going to paint 023.jpg
jon's tub going to paint 029.jpg

You're making me jealous. Looks great Jon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom