XM Satellite Radio- Alpine Deck and ?speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
;) New member- just replaced my wrecked '87 FJ60 with a '96 80 (lockers). First thing so far is to add XM satellite radio and an Alpine deck that plays MP3's and WMA's. Was able to bypass the factory amp and so it sounds great with the OEM's but was wondering what types would fit if I cook the factory speakers?
Thanks in Advance
David O'Niell, Albuquerque, High Desert Cruisers.
'79 FJ40, '96 FZJ80. '00 Tundra. '87 VERY wrecked FJ60 (parts!) wrecked neck, back and neurological system :cry:
gettin'better each beautiful DAY!!!!!

There's only a few companies making speakers slim enough to fit in the factory locations without any spacers, I believe Kenwood had one set. I think Eclipse just released one too... http://www.eclipse-web.com. You might also check out the JL TR-600CXi. I've never tried putting them in an 80, but I know they are a shallow mount.  If you're willing to use spacers anything will fit.  It won't look factory (they'll extend out 1/2 inch with a black ring around them), but you'll have a much broader range of choices.

Getting rid of the factory speakers will make a huge difference, espeically if you're enjoying the digital quality of XM.

I had kenwood dual mags in my 80. The magnet was tiny, so it was an easy fit. Alot better than stock speakers, nothing like the JL's that are in it now. The Jl's did require a spacer, but doesn't look bad. &nbsp:Did you do all the wiring work? Bypassing the amp? Thats one thing I had a store do in my 100 series. I know in my 91 80 series it was 5 1/4 inches in the front and 4 inches in the rear. In the rear I had jbl speakers. Id just spend most money on quality front speakers, 4 inch rear speakers cant really do that much.

-Matt

I'm runnung a Kenwood 911 along with a Fosgate amp mounted where the factory "subwoofer" was in the back. To bypass the factory amp, I ran the speaker wires from the Fosgate up the passenger side of the truck to under the glovebox. I didn't want to cut the factory harness in case I wanted to put it back to stock so I unplugged the speaker connection from the factory amp and spliced into the leads to all 4 of the door speakers. I left out the speakers in the dash and in the rear headliner. I am running the Kenwood Dualmags but am not that happy with them (better than stock though). Boston Accoustic just came out with a new line that is slimmer and may be able to be installed in the stock locations with a spacer. I am running 5 1/4's front and rear. The rear takes a little metal work with some nibblers or tin snips.

To bypass the amp, all you have to do is use the wiring harness that is already in the truck. It's the unused plug next to the two that plug into the stock radio. I bought a Toyota harness connector at Curcuit City that worked great for my 6 disc in dash Mazda head unit.

yes that is exactly what i did with my '96(actually it was (2) plugs unused that the CC harnesses hooked into)
if you go this route ,you may want to run a seperate power wire,for i found that the stock harness wire for 12v+ was insufficient to carry the current load for an Alpine cd head unit.
it was a simple matter to use the stock wire to turn on a relay that had a 10 guage wire from the battery,through the relay,to the harness,giving you plenty of current for the aftermarket head unit but still keyed off like factory.

doug

I also used the two smaller plugs instead of the big one that came off the back of my factory CD/Tape when I put in the new Alpine. Sounds much better but my Subwoofer doesnt work now. Anyone know why not?. AudioKing who did the install have no idea.

-92-

The wulfer ( :D ) is powered by the factory amp in the RH kick panel. If you un-plugged the amp bridge, you neutered the woofer as well........................ :beer:

Todd,

You made me look again. I pulled out the EWD. I was looking at the feeds to the wulfer from the amp. The EWD shows bridges in the cowl wire on the RH side, which I missed the first time. So , if I am reading the EWD CORRECTLY this time, it appears that the wulfer should be driven from ethier the amp or a std head........you still need to unplug the amp bridge to make the double plug behind the radio live however......

I stand corrected....... 8)

My understanding is that the rear woofer is powered by the amp thats attached to the woofer. My EWD in the FSM shows that the wires bridge to the woofer using either set of harnesses behind the head unit.

I'm still lost :dunno:

Have you checked to see if you are getting power actually at the woofer amp? And a speeker feed at the amp?

I do have a multimeter but will admit to not really knowing how to use it properly. What setting should it be on to check both or either.

Rear Woofer Amp

Well, I have power going into the amp but nothing coming out. Guess I have to track down an aftermarket amp unless someone has a Toyota one laying around.

I'll have to look through what has become my parts shed, but its very possible I still have my factory amp. I'll see if I can dig through there tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom