Xfer Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To me, I'm utterly !@#$ed over this.
I would like a Manual, but the full time turns me off. Manual is FUN, but full time is not so fun for the wallet @ the gas station... So its a sacrifice... I wanna know you opinions.

And I can't figure this LL-N-HL-H stuff on the Full Time xfer knob. I thought with a Full time you have just LowRange on or Low Range off. wtf?
Is the 2WD/4WD/LoRange shifting via a solenoid, or a linkage?

player said:
And I can't figure this LL-N-HL-H stuff on the Full Time xfer knob. I thought with a Full time you have just LowRange on or Low Range off. wtf?
Unless the FJ Cruiser is any different, SUVs with Full-Time 4x4 have a center differential in the transfer case that allows slippage between front and rear axles (turning, acceleration, etc. on hard surfaces) . . . much like a conventional diff does between two wheels on the same axle.

LL = Low Lock (Low range 4x4 with the center diff engaged and front/rear axles locked together).

N = Neutral

HL = High Lock (High range 4x4 with center diff engaged and front/rear axles locked together).

H = High (High range 4x4 with center diff open).

player said:
Manual is FUN, but full time is not so fun for the wallet @ the gas station...

Just some quick math here:

Difference in fuel consumed assuming 20,000/year (all hwy at the rated 19 and 21 mpg) is right at 100 gallons.

So using todays gas prices (average right now is about $2.50) you would spend an extra $250/year on gas.

But since the MSRP of the auto is $430 more than the 6-speed you wouldn't see any of these theoretical savings for almost 2 years...

hmm, I ordered the manual in part to get the fulltime 4wd.. if you've driven an 80 on a gravel road you'd know why.

semlin: I've never driven a 20,45,55,60,62,70,80,or 100 on a gravel road before, so could you clue me into why PT 4WD is a blessing? :)

not counting the f/r lockers, an 80 has 4 running modes

4H open centre diff
4H centre diff locked (like 4h in conventional 4wd)
4L open centre diff (towing)
4L locked (like 4lo in conventional 4wd)

An FJ cruiser will have the same options plus a rear locker. The default 4H with the diff open (what Toyota calls fulltime 4wd) gives excellent traction on gravel roads without the heaviness of 4H in a regular 4wd system. Many times I will go out with folks who stay in 2wd as long as they can on the trial. I watch them start to slip and slide in 2wd while the 80 stays steady as a rock.

the open diff means that the front knows what the rear is doing and vice versa so there is no tire chirp or heaviness of steering. Toyota fulltime 4WD is similar to AWD in other vehicles although many awd vehicles (especially older ones) do not actually have a true centre diff.

It is also extreemely advantageous in snow amongst other things.

Mmm. Snow..
Can't you use P/T 4x4 in snow?

player said:
Mmm. Snow..
Can't you use P/T 4x4 in snow?
Yes but with PT 4x4 there is no slip between fr/rr, with FT 4x4 w/unlocked center diff (normal driving mode) you will not get wheel spin on the outer wheel when going around a corner, when that happens in PT 4x4 (or FT 4x4 w/center diff locked) the rear end will jump out and can throw you into a 180. Some people prefer driving the PT 4x4 in some snow conditions, with the FT 4x4, you can just lock the center diff, if that's what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom