X20 mounting on stock 80, clutch access? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just doing some Initial planning here for my Smittybilt X20 10K, which is going on a fJ80 behind a stock bumper. It looks like the clutch engage switch on top is gonna be very difficult to access under a stock bumper has anyone done this before?

My thought is that I’m gonna have to takeoff the chrome plate on the top part of the bumper (and toss it) and bore some kind of access hole. Ideas? The switch is a 3 way job that sticks up about 2”
6F85540F-7850-4848-9BC6-E8D2247D0474.jpeg

Serious question here, not just picking at you... why would you want to retain the factory bumper? It is the weakest poorest excuse for collision protection that I have ever seen. I consider it an embarrassment to Toyota. Factor in the expense of all the front end parts that will be damaged in even the lightest parking lot accident and it makes no sense to not replace it with a reel bumper.

Mark...

Update: the clutch works great when accessed through the vent holes, pretty certain that is why Toyota designed it that way. bumper trimming and paint will resume this weekend, winch is on and functioning great already. Will be customizing with flip up license plate mount to hide roller fairlead, popping in some flush mount fog lights, and cheap LED off road lights on top.

Mark, it comes down to cost I’m on a very small budget and saving up for a re-gear is much more important to me. Sure, in a fantasy world where I could throw lots of money at this truck I would love to upgrade to an ARB, but that is just not practical, especially considering the price I payed for the vehicle itself. To me bumpers are more for looks, and the functionality of high dollar up grades means a lot. It’s a hard sell in my book but maybe you can prove me wrong. To add:

1. Security-winch is completely hidden
2. Aesthetics-Toyota lines, especially on an 80 are just awesome. Always like stock look and anything OEM
3. Weight- nice and light up front, the 3FE is already hefty
4. Covered from debris and elements

Have you had bad experiences with oem bumpers if so please let us know. What are you running, or which bumper do you recommend and why?how much did it cost?

I would add that the OEM is no bull bar but it is also not as cheap and flimsy as you make it out to be. I actually ran it over by accident during the install with no ill effects to bumper whatsoever (just pride:bang:). I don’t doubt that eventually I’ll upgrade but I’m definitely not running around nervous while driving that my bumper is not adequate. And finally, the 40 you see pictured below was my high school ride from the 90s. I put a grill and brush guard on and when I rear-ended a truck it was the bumper upgrade that bent back and took out my headlights and dented my bib and fenders. Dad and I just ordered up a new OEM bumper for it, the resto wouldn’t be complete with out.
1ED488E4-3F4E-4ED9-A219-2D7BE2667B70.jpeg

Mark, it comes down to cost I’m on a very small budget and saving up for a re-gear is much more important to me. Sure, in a fantasy world where I could throw lots of money at this truck I would love to upgrade to an ARB, but that is just not practical, especially considering the price I payed for the vehicle itself. To me bumpers are more for looks, and the functionality of high dollar up grades means a lot. It’s a hard sell in my book but maybe you can prove me wrong. To add:

1. Security-winch is completely hidden
2. Aesthetics-Toyota lines, especially on an 80 are just awesome. Always like stock look and anything OEM
3. Weight- nice and light up front, the 3FE is already hefty
4. Covered from debris and elements

Have you had bad experiences with oem bumpers if so please let us know. What are you running, or which bumper do you recommend and why?how much did it cost?

I would add that the OEM is no bull bar but it is also not as cheap and flimsy as you make it out to be. I actually ran it over by accident during the install with no ill effects to bumper whatsoever (just pride:bang:). I don’t doubt that eventually I’ll upgrade but I’m definitely not running around nervous while driving that my bumper is not adequate. And finally, the 40 you see pictured below was my high school ride from the 90s. I put a grill and brush guard on and when I rear-ended a truck it was the bumper upgrade that bent back and took out my headlights and dented my bib and fenders. Dad and I just ordered up a new OEM bumper for it, the resto wouldn’t be complete with out.

I completely understand the "tight budget" issue. And, really that is all the reason that you need to retain the OEM bumper.

That said... That is the ONLY reason to retain the OEM bumper. Well, preserving the OEM look does carry some weight, depending on personal tastes. And lighter weight is good, but IMHO it does not justify the continued risk to the front end that the OEM bumper carries with it.

I have to completely disagree with you about the OEM bumper having any significant strength or offering any significant protection. I have 12 parts rig '80s in the yard. All of them have front bumpers that failed to provide collision protection. Not just the couple that were hit hard. All of them show signs of low speed/low energy impacts that the bumpers did not protect from. And that is not even counting the cosmetic issue of a now mangled bumper. Aside from the parts rigs I have 5 '80s that are registered and street or street/trail driven. Only two of them came to me without damaged front bumpers. Three currently have ARBs, the other two will soon.

And your comment that" ...bumpers are for more looks..."????? I hope/assume that you misspoke. Bumpers are to protect the EXPENSIVE components of your vehicle from damage. And protect you as well. I hit a moose a few years back in my FJ62, just outside of Whitehorse BC, coming home on the Alaska Highway. I had made a bad decision on that build and only had a frame width bumper. My reasoning was that it allowed my front tires to get onto obstacles much more easily. So far as that goes, that is correct. And it if had been a trail only rig, that would have been an idea I would have stuck with. But it was not. I drove it on the road too. At 60 MPH I hit a moose right on the driver's side corner. The headlights were the primary impact point. The fender crumpled into the 36 inch bogger. Locked up my steering. I followed the now dead moose off the road and down the embankment. When I hit the berm at the bottom, I bent both front springs. it was pure luck that I did not roll and that there were no injuries. With an ARB bumpr, I might have not even had damage to the bumper. I would certainly have had no more than minor cosmetic body damage.

I have lost track of how many ARBs I have installed on '80s. Not nearly as much as any of the larger shops, Maybe only 2 dozen over the years... but I did 3 last month and will be doing two more in the next couple of weeks. Only a couple of the bumpers I took off were worth saving for possible reuse.

I have bent/straightened FJ80 bumpers by hand. Only small amounts to be sure, but you should not be able to bend a bumper on a rig like an '80 by hand.

I have seen OEM bumpers bent into fenders from sloppy ditch entries.

I have seen '80s involved in 10-15mph parking lot impacts that took out... bumper, both fenders, valance, grill, hood, both parking lights, both front fender flares, a/s condensor, radiator and other brackets/odds and ends... add all that up and it is much more than the cost of an ARB bumper.

You asked about cost. I *think* the current price of an ARB on Amazon seems to range from $853-1360. Free shipping in the lower 48 is usually possible all across that price range. I know that our preferred "Mud Approved" Land Cruiser Vendors will beat some of those prices. My price here in Alaska is at the high end of that... after shipping costs are included. A LOT less than all those front end parts I just mentioned will set you back.

I have bounced ARBs off of trees on the trail when moving faster than I should have been on a very tight track. I have slammed then into 4 foot thick ice at 15 or so mph when a frozen creek gave way and I dropped into a void. No damage (to the bumper or body... I did shatter an OEM rim but the bumper could not have protected that any way). I have inspected an ARB that hit moose at 70+ miles an hour and found no detectable damage. Admittedly it was a small moose, less than 800 pounds, but still, it was impressive. I have used the ARB on one of my '80s to push FJ60 carcasses sideways in the yard on flat tires. Other than being ready of some fresh powdercoat or paint... again... that bumper is like new... after nearly 20 years of this sort of use. I have seen the results of several collisions between ARBs on '80s and other vehicles. Let's just say they were all very one sided. ;)

I may sound like a paid shill for ARB. I am just very impressed with their bumpers. I do not really expect any OEM bumper to stand up to the sort of abuse an ARB will. But I DO think that it is important to protect the front end of an 80 series to a much higher degree than the factory bumper even pretends to. On the road or the trail, the factory bumper is little more than a cosmetic shroud.

Again my intent is not to belittle your winch installation. I have done the "winch behind the stock bumper" too. It is a cool look. My point , I guess... is to just say "NOOOO... get a real bumper!" ;)

Sooner or later, you will be glad that you did, ;)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom