www.hoosiercruiser.org - redesign. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Commander, I dare you to make Gumby an "Honorary Member"!

I Double Dog dare you!

You don't have a hair on your sack if you back out of it!

*Inner Monolouge*....... In a total breech of "dare ettiquette" he skipped the "double dare" and went strait to the "double dog dare"!!

Woody, do you have a recommendation as far as hosting is concerned? I am open to all suggestions. I'm not sure where the current site is set up, and honestly I'm not impressed with Aplus.net for a lot of reasons. I'm just too lazy to move all of my sites right now.

I'm with Softlayer in Dallas...but pretty sure you don't need $x,xxx.xx monthly hosting fees...they are expensive, but worth every penny when I don't get that 2am phone call from Poser that the site isn't responding...

HostGator has received good reviews...check data center location, MAIN hubs = better response time (Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Denver, Vegas, etc) Check that the host is IN THE UNITED STATES...I hosted RockCrawler for a whole month on a Canadian server cause it was cheap....and when I called, they spoke French...and after 30 days of up and down, I ditched them.

Find one, and search Google... http://www.webhostingstuff.com/review/SoftLayer.html

24/7/365 phone and live chat support is nice...I used https://totalserversolutions.com/ to monitor IH8MUD servers before I switched to Softlayer (didn't trust my old host anymore) and they were fixing site issues at 3am with a 15minute response...again, you pay for it, but worth every penny...

HAHA! Well if your Pig is in the banner of the HC site does that mean you're not going to show up anymore? :hmm:

He already doesnt show up anymore

I'm with Softlayer in Dallas...but pretty sure you don't need $x,xxx.xx monthly hosting fees...they are expensive, but worth every penny when I don't get that 2am phone call from Poser that the site isn't responding...

HostGator has received good reviews...check data center location, MAIN hubs = better response time (Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, Denver, Vegas, etc) Check that the host is IN THE UNITED STATES...I hosted RockCrawler for a whole month on a Canadian server cause it was cheap....and when I called, they spoke French...and after 30 days of up and down, I ditched them.

Find one, and search Google... http://www.webhostingstuff.com/review/SoftLayer.html

24/7/365 phone and live chat support is nice...I used https://totalserversolutions.com/ to monitor IH8MUD servers before I switched to Softlayer (didn't trust my old host anymore) and they were fixing site issues at 3am with a 15minute response...again, you pay for it, but worth every penny...

Good advice! I will definitely do the research. I like the idea of the main hub locations. Aplus is in Kansas or something like that. I never even considered that aspect.

The club will (hopefully) be paying to support the site. My contribution will be setting it up etc etc, but the monthly costs should be on the club. I have not explored it that far. We don't need a whole lot really. the current site has been all but abandoned, so anything will be better than that. Thanks Woody, I appreciate your input! :cheers:

Good advice! I will definitely do the research. I like the idea of the main hub locations. Aplus is in Kansas or something like that. I never even considered that aspect.

The club will (hopefully) be paying to support the site. My contribution will be setting it up etc etc, but the monthly costs should be on the club. I have not explored it that far. We don't need a whole lot really. the current site has been all but abandoned, so anything will be better than that. Thanks Woody, I appreciate your input! :cheers:

I would think the club should pay for the hosting. Of course, that would require the members to actually pay their dues... which might be a small problem.

as much beer and food as I've stolen from the HC crowd in the past 10 years, I could be talked easily into free hosting for the club on the 'MUD server. I'm strict on software tho (updated Wordpress is dandy, Joomla and that other similar garbage is not)...picky means less work and limited problems :)

let me know when yer ready, takes a day-two to get the domain set up.

as much beer and food as I've stolen from the HC crowd in the past 10 years, I could be talked easily into free hosting for the club on the 'MUD server. I'm strict on software tho (updated Wordpress is dandy, Joomla and that other similar garbage is not)...picky means less work and limited problems :)

Wow, that is a generous offer. And, we're then assured it will be handled properly. Thanks Woody, there'll be more food and beer to "steal" from us the next time you see us.

Oh wow! Definitely! That would be awesome. All I would want is the admin login to the Blog. Wordpress is absolutely what we would use! So far everyone likes what we have so far. Let's get a unanimous approval of the BOD and we'll move forward with that.

Wait, what? We have a Board of Directors? When did that happen?

Wait, what? We have a Board of Directors? When did that happen?

HAHA! Well I guess I haven't been around long enough to know that's a load. Don't we have at least a Grand Poobah?

At any rate It'll just take installing a WP Blog, and the Atahualpa theme, and redirecting the domain name, then I can take it from there.

Woody, the theme asks that I upload the pictures to the 'themes' directory in the WP software. Can I just give you those files to upload? If it seems too complicated decent hosting is only like $5/month for what we would need.

Bored of Directing

edited for accuracy.

Step 1: contact the current individual to ensure the change of site hosting is okay and get the conversation started on re-pointing the DNS

Step 2: let me know that's all kosher and i'll get the server ready

Step 3: I install the base Wordpress and give you admin and ftp rights...yer on yer own after that :)

You don't want a 'windy city' deal where the previous domain holder wasn't excited to give up control...that's happened with a few clubs

I actually have a dozen+ club or event domains that I own/control...I'm apolitical (kinda like Phil is asexual) and careful to keep all current and past members in the loop.

Nothing worse than a member registering the domain, quitting the club, and taking it with them...yes, people get childish :)

edited for accuracy.

Step 1: contact the current individual to ensure the change of site hosting is okay and get the conversation started on re-pointing the DNS

Step 2: let me know that's all kosher and i'll get the server ready

Step 3: I install the base Wordpress and give you admin and ftp rights...yer on yer own after that :)

You don't want a 'windy city' deal where the previous domain holder wasn't excited to give up control...that's happened with a few clubs

I actually have a dozen+ club or event domains that I own/control...I'm apolitical (kinda like Phil is asexual) and careful to keep all current and past members in the loop.

Nothing worse than a member registering the domain, quitting the club, and taking it with them...yes, people get childish :)

Ok sounds great! I wasn't sure of your position on FTP access, but that's perfect. I will try to get a hold of the current registrant of the domain name and see how that goes.

I agree, people do get childish, especially when they feel stepped upon. I hope it doesn't go down like that. We're just trying to keep the club moving forward. I'll keep everyone in the loop via this thread. :cheers:

On behalf of the whole group, thank you for your generosity Woody! No matter what anyone says about you, we know better! :grinpimp: I'll let you know when I need some DNS info.

I sent Tim an E-mail if anyone knows him personally that might help the situation.

Woody, what kind of marketing things can we use from Mud/Rockcrawler.com, Logos, links etc.? Since you're being so generous we certainly want to promote your site/vendors as much as possible. Let me know what you've got!

BRAND IT ALL!!!

Actually, no worries...I'm about as 'in' with Google as I can be...

offer accepted :D

Ok sounds great! I wasn't sure of your position on FTP access, but that's perfect. I will try to get a hold of the current registrant of the domain name and see how that goes.

I agree, people do get childish, especially when they feel stepped upon. I hope it doesn't go down like that. We're just trying to keep the club moving forward. I'll keep everyone in the loop via this thread. :cheers:

On behalf of the whole group, thank you for your generosity Woody! No matter what anyone says about you, we know better! :grinpimp: I'll let you know when I need some DNS info.

I have already had preliminary discussions with Tim Bridges who has been supporting the hosting and Dave Rainbolt who is the author/owner of the current website and they were both happy to hear of the renewed interest. I have contact info for both if you need specific info, so please pm me whatever you need.

The work you have done so far is awesome and looks very clean and professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom