wtf is this noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So heres a story of things ive had replaced in 6 weeks on this van:

timing belt
tensioner
idler
thermostat
tires
sway / roll bar links
a few split air hoses
glow plugs (and carbon cleaned)
air,fuel and oil filters

after driving 3000 miles the van developed a shake. the entire exhaust system shook, the engine shook, everything shook - at idle. Badly.
Was diagnosed as injectors -replaced those also.

the shake dissappeared (thank god) but was replaced with a lovely blue smoke at idle and an odd unrhythmnic rattle.

Back in we go - replaced the disintergrated crush washers / heat sheild washers hoping to cure the smoke and the little rattle.

Both still exist.

Ive uploaded two videos to youtube and have linked them below if anyone wants to help me play "guess that rattle" ?

Its NOT regular and rhythmnic noise. Just had another oil and oil filter change. and trans fluid and both are fine.

You can hear the rattle in the background in the idle and the acceleration video. Its a weird noise - like shaking some small screws / peanuts around in a tin - you'll see what i mean. And its much louder underneath the van than inside the cab.

Ive just moved out into a really rural area and now drive 1hr 10 min each way to work twice a week so i need to work this out asap.

Please bear in mind my mechanical knowledge is somewhat limited so i wont be poking around taking things apart myself, but id love some opinions and i do understand how things work etc.

Both diesel mechanics in the new small town im near have blown me off via email after making appointments.....which sucks really badly.

My last 2 hiaces ran great for 11yrs with barely a single repair.

here are the vids:

https://youtu.be/ZiaubVSFCpM

I have a 1HD-T with the same noise. Bottom left side near the starter motor / sump? That's where mine is loudest.

Spent countless hours looking for the issue, but never located it. The engine is going in for a rebuild as its consuming oil now, but otherwise runs great and has good compression. Oil tests come back looking good, but with elevated levels of lead. Nothing high enough to be alarmed about, but again, consuming enough oil that its a problem.

Blue smoke means you're burning oil so it's likely something internal.

yeah - i think that feels like where its coming from.

i noticed a little oil spray around a min or two after start up yesterday from the exhaust, but it seems to stop after 5 mins or so.

Going to have the intake before and after the turbo checked in a week (earliest i could get in to mechanic in small town) to see if the turbo seals are leaking. Also going to have the valve guides looked at.

Id say it consumed maybe a quart of oil or less in 3500 miles.

The frequency of the rattle is too slow to be anything to do with the piston, conrod or crank. The blue is almost undeniably oil burning.
Sounds like something broken off and rattling around.
Do you know if the timing belt was done right the first time?

Ive seen a 1HZ with a noise very similar. It turned out to be a washer had got into the combustion chamber via the air intake. It would get between a valve and the piston and stamp round shapes into the piston, or sometimes stopping a valve from closing.

Engine shudder, faulty new injectors, timing belt, glow plugs, blue haze in exhaust. There has to be a connection there.

Is it possible the injection pump is making the noise?

I think to be on the safe side you need to drop the sump and inspect inside the combustion chambers with a boroscope.

The frequency of the rattle is too slow to be anything to do with the piston, conrod or crank. The blue is almost undeniably oil burning.
Sounds like something broken off and rattling around.
Do you know if the timing belt was done right the first time?

Ive seen a 1HZ with a noise very similar. It turned out to be a washer had got into the combustion chamber via the air intake. It would get between a valve and the piston and stamp round shapes into the piston, or sometimes stopping a valve from closing.

Engine shudder, faulty new injectors, timing belt, glow plugs, blue haze in exhaust. There has to be a connection there.

Is it possible the injection pump is making the noise?

I think to be on the safe side you need to drop the sump and inspect inside the combustion chambers with a boroscope.
Im going to assume the timing belt was done right the first time seeing as ive driven 3000 miles / 4500km with it on with zero issues.

The initial huge vibration didnt start til around 2000 miles after that and stopped as soon as the injectors were replaced.

Whoever had the van before me did nothing to look after it. Just let everything wear away.

Even the tires had worn edges. When i changed the air filter it was the dirtiest thing id ever seen.

Id say the first video link i posted gives a more accurate depiction of the noise as opposed to the second link thats actually showing up as the video screen in the post. Here it is again:

whereas before it consumed a quart of oil in 3500 miles its now consumed that in only 300 miles.
It wasnt consuming oil until AFTER the injectors were changed around 300 miles ago..... which is when the smoke started.

Last edited:
The initial huge vibration didnt start til around 2000 miles after that and stopped as soon as the injectors were replaced.

Did the shop who rebuilt the injectors say what was wrong with them? Injectors don't usually go bad all of a sudden . Usually the spray pattern deteriorates and/or the spring loses tension and it happens after they have done 100000klms or more.
Did you fit the timing belt, glowplugs and injectors yourself?

Did the shop who rebuilt the injectors say what was wrong with them? Injectors don't usually go bad all of a sudden . Usually the spray pattern deteriorates and/or the spring loses tension and it happens after they have done 100000klms or more.
Did you fit the timing belt, glowplugs and injectors yourself?
ha ha - NO i did not. I have zero mechanical skill past changing filters / tires / breakpads.

The injectors werent rebuilt - i bought new toyota ones. the old ones were bad because they were ancient. I doubt they had been changed in 180,000km

..... i lived in perth years ago :) My 1988 hiace is actually there with a friend. I couldnt bear to sell it when i moved so i gave it away.

Im concerned who ever did the timing belt didnt get the alignment right , did some damage then refitted the belt in the correct position.

I was looking the latest model Hiace the other day, more boxy than a box. They are one of Toyota best selling models along with Landcruisers and Corrollas.
I knew someone who had a fleet of Hiaces for delivering meat orders to restaurants, he said he had tried the rest but Hiace was the best.

Im concerned who ever did the timing belt didnt get the alignment right , did some damage then refitted the belt in the correct position.

I was looking the latest model Hiace the other day, more boxy than a box. They are one of Toyota best selling models along with Landcruisers and Corrollas.
I knew someone who had a fleet of Hiaces for delivering meat orders to restaurants, he said he had tried the rest but Hiace was the best.
the belt was done before i even bought it - by a toyota technician, on request by me as it was past due. Isupplied the parts.
The van drove great when i bought it.
Something would have popped up before now if it was the belt. i drove it from florida to chicago and chicago to oregon before anything happened.
even one tooth off it would have shown issues with 800lbs of belongings inside driving over 3300 miles - thats 5000km almost.

the issues didnt present til a couple hundred miles away.

I think its more likely that the other injectors were so fricking old and damaged that now theyre working properly a seal on something else has gone - like the turbo seals or the piston ring maybe.

Maybe its not clear in the original post that all the things in the list at the start of the post were done on request by me BEFORE i took it away from the dealer. I supplied the parts, and they left me all the old gross ones.

I had issues with the new glow plugs initially (werent getting power for right amount of time) and switched them out when got back to chicago from florida (900 miles) and then they worked great.`

The injectors werent done til 2300 miles after that (moved house cross country).

I think its more likely that the other injectors were so fricking old and damaged that now theyre working properly a seal on something else has gone - like the turbo seals or the piston ring maybe

Old injectors with a bad spray pattern cover the piston top with compressed soot. New injectors will slowly burn it off and it will exit the exhaust. The soot on top is softer than the metal in the rings and bores. It cant hurt the turbo seals

Have you listened close to the fuel injection pump?

Couple months on - still rattling and still no idea why.

Did a coolant flush last week - not sure if thats been done at all for at least 100,000km -it was gross.

The oil isnt leaking after all - was just an overfill by the people who did the change.

Had the turbo checked and a couple other things.

Been told theyre gonna have to pull it apart to find it.

Drives perfect. Rattle only is there around the first 10- 15 mins im running after that goes away.

Im reluctant to head on long road trips incase something goes bad. Driving is no longer fun due to the anxiety i have lingering in the back of my head :/

whereas before it consumed a quart of oil in 3500 miles its now consumed that in only 300 miles.
It wasnt consuming oil until AFTER the injectors were changed around 300 miles ago..... which is when the smoke started.

The engine is burning oil from worn or damaged metal, I cant think of any other reason. Who ever did the injectors may have done some other damage, maybe something fell inside the engine. New injectors do not cause oil to burn but the problem starts after they worked on it.

Whoever had the van before me did nothing to look after it. Just let everything wear away.

This is the other part of the equation. Diesels deteriorate fast under those conditions. Grit gets into the oil and wears everything away.

Ive had it back to them twice since they changed they injectors. Is my only option going to be "oi, so there was no rattle or smoke til you lot changed the injectors - sort it out". I live in a semi rural area and theyre the only mechanics within 100 miles of me that will work on the import that ive found so far. :(

Ok - so the rattle was fuel knock. We replaced the 3rd and 4th injectors (again) with oem ones.

injector 1 and 2 are still non oem.

I originally got interchanged injectors in may when the toyota oems were out of stock. My van apparently did not like them.

the engine is running with more vibration now at idle than before. We are wondering if it is because of the 2 types of injectors?

.... also now the rattle is gone theres a new noise - like a metallic shh-shh-shh-shh-shh-shh-shh in the background. bearing somewhere? ....

Oh happy days........ :/

We are wondering if it is because of the 2 types of injectors?
2 types? Aftermarket should be identical to OEM. Its only the injector cracking pressure that could vary and this can be adjusted. Can these guys test an injector on the bench? And having different cracking pressures would, in my mind, cause all sorts of vibration. But I have never seen this happen, just a guess.

The ting ....ting .....ting is much slower than the engine. My guess it tings at close to once a second or 60 times a minute.

The ting ....ting .....ting is much slower than the engine. My guess it tings at close to once a second or 60 times a minute.
that ting ting that youre hearing once a second is the turbo timer lol - ignore that. the noise im hearing is a shh-shh-shh noise almost like 2 metal plates rubbing together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom