Wanted WTB 3B, Houston (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A lot of owners who buy used B diesels end up back here looking for information on rebuilding them. They are just too old to have any accurate information about their history.

My advice is to buy an engine kit from Engines Australia, I think they are under a $1000US with cheap delivery.
Then find a good machinist.

I dont know why anyone would find them difficult, they are simple and similar to most diesels of that era.
Having a workshop manual would be a good thing to have iof you dont have one.

As the title says. Need to replace a own 3B, finding rebuild and shops overly difficult.

Check with joekatana here on mud. He is just north of the Dallas metro so he in Texas with you. Joe regularly imports running diesel engines from Europe and which he offers up for sale. As I recall, he test runs each engine to verify condition/quality before he buys so he has info/data on them to share with buyers. [you don't buy a pig in a poke]

As roscoFJ73 outlined, rebuilding the 3B is an option. I am just completing the rebuild of mine. The biggest portion of the cost was parts. The basic overhaul kit was over $1k with shipping from Engines Australia, but other needed parts had to be bought too (cam, rocker arms, etc.). My total parts bill was over $2.5k. Additionally, I had my injectors/injector pump/aftermarket turbo rebuilt too. The added close to another $1.5k. My machine shop costs were less than $1.5. The re-assembly and installation back in the truck was my labor which theoretically was free me 4 weekends or more to finish. Hence my total out of pocket to rebuild my 3B was better than $5.5k. I could have bought an engine from joekatana for the $3k range.

Rebuilding was my choice and I am glad I did it because I plan to keep this truck/engine in the family for the next generation too (one my daughters has already requested that she inheret it). Consequently to build confidence in a long life for the truck, rebuilding was the clear right choice for me even if it doubled the cost over picking up a used engine.

Good luck with your engine choice

Subscribed!

=====
1984 BJ42, frame-off rstored , 4E9 Toyo beige, 5spd factory tranny
1983 BJ45 PickUp, factory P/S, resto-project,

what year 3B are you looking for? Ane 12volt or 24 volt? We've got a late model BJ4x 3B (either 83 or 84, not sure which) in Colorado. We bought it as a combo, but mostly just bought it for the H55F, so it is just an, "extra" taking up space waiting for a need. It is 24Volt, but we could get it crated & dropped off at Forward Air or some other freight terminal in Denver, if you are interested. What's the going rate for a 3B? We'll make you a deal if we can work it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom