Wrenching suggestion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Buddy and I are swapping a trans in his 95 Chevy pick-up.
Leaving the motor in the truck and pulling the trans out thru the bottom.
Have all the bolts out, lines are off, it's all un-hooked. The only thing
thats holding the two together are the aligning dowels. We can't get them
to apart! Steel dowels and aluminum bell housing. Sprayed them with
penetrating fluid, have a come along attached and running back to the
rear bumper to put some tension on it.
Anyone have a surefire way to get these apart?

Thanks!

Not with this but anytime I run into this type of issue with aluminum I grab the MAP torch. I'd try heating the housing at the dowels. MAP torches are hotter than propane and they have a nice big flame for this kind of thing.

X2 on MAP. Another good one is a air chisel with a blunt tip. Put it right on the dowels and vibrate the s*** out of it. Careful not to vibrate a chunk off the housing.. These air chisels are amazing for many diff. uses. They can be purchased a Depot or other for under $30

Ya there is always that one bolt you cant see (I did it) support the end of the tranny and use a big prybar, work it from both sides, that's how I got mine apart.

It ended up coming out fairly easy. I kept hitting it with penetrating fluid and it came apart with a few light
taps on the end of a screwdriver.
We swapped the t-case onto the new trans, changed fluid in the t-case and will do the filter and fluid in the trans when
it's in the truck.
Right now it is hanging from 1 bolt and the aligning stud on one end and the transfer case at the other. Hope to get it
bolted together soon.
With all this melting my whole shop is flooded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom