Would you trust this roof rack setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you guys and gals think of this setup for my roof? I don’t need much. The main thing for me is to add an awning and maybe a small half rack I can take on and off for a couple storage boxes, etc.

I’m a little wigged out about attaching anything to the stock rails. Am I overthinking it? Would you guys trust this? Or should I avoid and get a rack with gutter mounts.

Thanks!

5940B9E9-D467-4273-ABF9-3E9C0D804627.jpeg

EFFD7425-F3AE-4166-8948-39465F86A6DD.jpeg

All depends on how much weight you intend to put up there.
An RTT? Hell no, tho we see them attached in that manner more often than not but it's sketch af - and leads to stressing and weakening the bolts holding the luggage rack rails to the roof, creating leakage issues.
Heavy weight is gutter mount only - such as an RTT.
An awning can attach directly to a luggage rack rail without the need for crossbars.
And for the half rack...it could nestle between the luggage rack rails (w/o the crossbars), either centered or to the same or opposite side from the awning keeping it lower to roof (if only an inch or two).

100 lbs or less. Preferably nothing long or super wind "catchy" like a canoe, kayak, etc. Tie downs in front and rear, non-negotiable, if you do put a boat up there.

Probably fine for a Thule box or Yakima box and skis or sleeping bags, tents, etc. The awing would probably be fine if it rolls up and you can get it mounted on there without having to MacGyver it too much.

The factory rack is the weak point in that setup.

That's my setup. Yakima RocketBox full of gear for a family of four on one side, snowsboards/skis on the other. Never a problem even through screaming winds on the 395 :meh:

Yea I have no plans for kayaks or anything like that. I’d keep it light if possible. Probably camping goods (cans, jugs, containers, etc).

Yea I have no plans for kayaks or anything like that. I’d keep it light if possible. Probably camping goods (cans, jugs, containers, etc).
Better if they are empty. Not sure how many cans or jugs you carry, but if it starts to creep up to that 100 limit( which is only like 8 gallons or so when you include the weight of the rack, the basket or box you have up there, etc). It does effect the way the truck handles on curves if you aren't careful.

I'd eBay those clamps you have and get proper Thule gutter mounts. You have the crossbars already and using gutter mounts will make it much safer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom