Would love some help: 80 series seat gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Would love a hand to help install new seats gears in our 80. I have the seat out of the truck, but can't make it past the 1st damn step! Would be willing to meet somewhere or come to you and reimburse!

Did you get the plastic gear repair? If so, the only part that I couldn't do was press it on to the metal shaft... I took it to a local garage that had a press. Also, the repair didn't last long because I didn't have my tracks aligned properly to one another - I'll have to redo it. Where are you now with the repair?

I managed to press it on after breaking one.

Seat still feels dicey, so I moved it into a comfortable position and unplugged it

I guess it is better than before, seat had been pulled all the way up.

When my gear stripped out the second time, I used a wrench and just moved it all the way back. I can show you how if you still have a problem with your seat? It's really easy, only takes a minute.

Yeah I got it all reassembled and working. Was a PITA, but now that I have done it, I see where it could be somewhat easy the 2nd time.

Thanks again

I've done this a enough times to wish I had manual seats. Not if, but *when* you do this again, you must heat (not too much) the nylon gear with a heat gun. Immediately press it on the shaft using a spark plug socket, or what I did, tap the socket with a hammer until it's centered. The heated nylon gear is more viable and less likely to crack. When reassembling, it's very important to hold the horizontal jack screw with a set of vice grips while tightening the nut, otherwise it can spin and potentially strip the new gear...trust me, it can happen.

If you, or anyone, needs help, let me know. It's not expertise I can offer, but experience learned the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom