Would like to remove some lift from my HZJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've found i can't park in my work garage (or in my home garage under my lift...), The truck has a lift on it from the PO in japan, i'd like to take at least a couple inches off. Do i need to order new/different parts for this or can i adjust/remove what i have?

Happy to take better pics of what i have.

DSC_2085.JPG

28938772_10216240183742298_1332463890_o.jpg

28939119_10216240183622295_1576244090_o.jpg

28942153_10216240181022230_1218563844_o.jpg

28943362_10216240181502242_1591468123_o.jpg

thanks,
bret

It looks like you have 7 leaf packs. I would take out the 4th from the top. You could also take them to a spring maker and get him to heat them and reset them but I think taking a leaf out would be better. The spring shackles look over length , replacing them with standard shackles should give you an inch at least.
I use to deflate my tyres to lower my 73 series to get it under cover when I wanted to work on it.
Make sure your leaf packs go back on the side they came off.

It looks like you have 7 leaf packs. I would take out the 4th from the top. You could also take them to a spring maker and get him to heat them and reset them but I think taking a leaf out would be better. The spring shackles look over length , replacing them with standard shackles should give you an inch at least.
I use to deflate my tyres to lower my 73 series to get it under cover when I wanted to work on it.
Make sure your leaf packs go back on the side they came off.

Appreciate the response. I've got new u-bolts ready to go on as well so i can plan on removing a leaf spring. When you say "Make sure your leaf packs go back on the side they came off", are they actually side-specific or is there some other issue?

i'll look for some new OE or equivalent shackles as well. Do these part numbers look right?
04483-60080
04483-60060

thanks!
bret

You have extended shackles on that. I'd definitely swap them for some standard ones before I'd touch them leaf packs.

To answer your question about leaf packs being side specified the drivers side springs are very slightly taller than the passenger side to cope with the drivers weight when they are the only person in the vehicle. Unless you are a jockey or 4ft tall the vehicle should be level with the driver in the car.

I'm curious if the truck sits level, more or less. The rear shackles are super long, strange custom made looking items while the front are more standard tri shackles that don't provide much lift. Removing those would lower you less than an inch. The springs sure do have a lot of arch...

You have extended shackles on that. I'd definitely swap them for some standard ones before I'd touch them leaf packs.

To answer your question about leaf packs being side specified the drivers side springs are very slightly taller than the passenger side to cope with the drivers weight when they are the only person in the vehicle. Unless you are a jockey or 4ft tall the vehicle should be level with the driver in the car.

Will do - appreciate the info on the packs. i am definitely not jockey sized.. adjusting the weight on the seats, i might be on the upper end of the spectrum.

I'm curious if the truck sits level, more or less. The rear shackles are super long, strange custom made looking items while the front are more standard tri shackles that don't provide much lift. Removing those would lower you less than an inch. The springs sure do have a lot of arch...

The truck does have some rake. i'd like to remove any of the custom JDM stuff except maybe the side exit exhaust.. i kinda like that :) Sounds like you're saying i'll need to do both shackles and leaf packs to get the drop i need to clear.

lZF8a92 - Imgur.jpg

I agree with rosco, remove the add-a-leaf from the front pack, install stock length shackles. The rear looks to be all shackle with no mods to the pack. This might get you the desired decrease in height.

I am interested in those fender flares, LMK if you remove em'.

I agree with rosco, remove the add-a-leaf from the front pack, install stock length shackles. The rear looks to be all shackle with no mods to the pack. This might get you the desired decrease in height.

I am interested in those fender flares, LMK if you remove em'.

Thanks, i will look into stock shackles. Do people prefer to do that or do an OE equiv tough dog or something like that?

I'll let you know about the flares but i don't see them coming off any time soon.. They are fiberglass but look like nice quality and fit - i can try and find out more info about them but nothing is stamped or marked obvious that i can see.

It could be that the front leaf packs are a heavy duty pair which would explain the extra leaf. I'm not sure what removing a leaf would do in this case.

wonder if i should just replace it all with a known entity...
That would be the best route but it really depends on your budget. My feeling is that if if those are standard height heavy duty springs removing a leaf will sag them and they will be too straight resulting in a harsh ride. Yours certainly have less arch than mine:
20180606_200004.jpg
not that its easy to tell.

I agree with installing stock size shackles first. Then go from there. another option, after installing stock size shackles, is to install a 1" lift block between the spring and axle spring perch, this will lower the vehicle height maybe 1/2", and I think also get your castor angle back to stock, if the front springs are a lifted type which they probably are. I don't think removing any leafs will change ride height, only change how it rides and carries loads.

That would be the best route but it really depends on your budget. My feeling is that if if those are standard height heavy duty springs removing a leaf will sag them and they will be too straight resulting in a harsh ride. Yours certainly have less arch than mine:View attachment 1740601not that its easy to tell.

Yeah some angles i agree, some it seems less clear. i just have no idea how much of a lift this actually is compared to what i would be purchasing, and as my title states, my goal is to lower the truck overall. i do know i can't fit under the 6'6" garage bar. Well, the front fits, the rear.. not so much.

I agree with installing stock size shackles first. Then go from there. another option, after installing stock size shackles, is to install a 1" lift block between the spring and axle spring perch, this will lower the vehicle height maybe 1/2", and I think also get your castor angle back to stock, if the front springs are a lifted type which they probably are. I don't think removing any leafs will change ride height, only change how it rides and carries loads.

Do i need more than just the shackles themselves you think?

04483-60080
04483-60060

maybe i should just drive around with a couple thousand pounds in it :confused:

Search my build thread, I battled this early on, and finally screw it and ordered a whole new OME medium kit with greasable shackles. This what will happen: you pull a leaf and replace with oem shackles. You battle front shackle inversion because the rancho shocks are too long and prevent the springs from working. Eventually the bushing are eaten away and you get frustrated enough that 1: you wasted money and time trying to fix it little by little 2: the money you spent would have paid for shipping to just order everything you need for a quality suspension from get go.

Also Japanese lift kits are usually painted leafs. Some owners paint over them to avoid safety inspection issues.

Search my build thread, I battled this early on, and finally screw it and ordered a whole new OME medium kit with greasable shackles. This what will happen: you pull a leaf and replace with oem shackles. You battle front shackle inversion because the rancho shocks are too long and prevent the springs from working. Eventually the bushing are eaten away and you get frustrated enough that 1: you wasted money and time trying to fix it little by little 2: the money you spent would have paid for shipping to just order everything you need for a quality suspension from get go.

appreciate it - i will search and probably follow suite. i'd rather just take care of it all at once.

are they actually side-specific or is there some other issue?

Yes, if you ever get confused, flip them over onto a flat surface and compare the heights at the top of the arch. The higher ones go the driver side. Australian springs are usually marked A or B sides with A being drivers side.

wonder if i should just replace it all with a known entity...

They look like quality leaf packs and they look to be in good condition, so I wouldnt be throwing the towel in yet. They could be worth as much as $300 to $400 or more per corner new. They look a lot like my ARB leaf packs

Do the shackles first and go from there. The bushes look like they are crumbling so you will need a set of them.
And those tall skinny shackles are rubbish anyway.

Yes, if you ever get confused, flip them over onto a flat surface and compare the heights at the top of the arch. The higher ones go the driver side. Australian springs are usually marked A or B sides with A being drivers side.

Good to know. Driver's side on RHD or LHD? :)

They look like quality leaf packs and they look to be in good condition, so I wouldnt be throwing the towel in yet. They could be worth as much as $300 to $400 or more per corner new. They look a lot like my ARB leaf packs

Do the shackles first and go from there. The bushes look like they are crumbling so you will need a set of them.
And those tall skinny shackles are rubbish anyway.

Are any of these marked? I'm not sure how to identify quality (or not) leaf springs.. I'm still not 100% sure on the part numbers for the shackles (i noticed the bushings definitely did not look good as well), but i'll try reaching out to Onur, i'm sure he can help. I'm honestly not even sure i want a lift on the truck right now..

Your shackles look to be the same ones I pulled off my truck

image.jpg

The plus minus thing is based on manufacturing tolerance. Basically they test the packs. Slightly higher spring rate gets a + the slightly lower gets a - and dead perfect get nothing. Put the + on the side which carries more weight (the side the driver sits on). Or if you have a lean you can use the + - to adjust and level the lean.

If it’s a JDM truck it’s doubtful they’re ARB springs. But there are a lot of good springs avalible in Japan. @NanaMaru and/or @Cavalier2000 may be able to provide additional guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom