Would an all speed cruise control mod be possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and saw some posts related to this, but not an explicit discussion on this topic. Apologies if I missed it.

I'm loving my new to me 2019 LC200. My very minor gripes are the lack of all-speed cruise control (LC DRCC stops working under 35mph) and brake hold (holds the brake at traffic lights). Especially since these are features the LX has, perhaps to differentiate it from the LC. I know I am not alone as Doug DeMuro mentioned the one reason he went with a new Defender instead of a LC200 is due to the lack of all-speed cruise control. This is understandable since he spends many hours a day in bumper traffic. Unlike Doug, this isn't a need for me but instead a nice to have. I am in bumper traffic weekly at-most and not on a daily basis.

You might say, you should have just gotten the LX. Fair point. I knew of the differences but still wanted a Toyota badge for professional reasons which was one of the reasons I traded in my GX for a LC. I am OK to live without it, but the engineer in me still wants to understand if a mod would be possible given the shared architectures and components between the two trucks.

To that end I did some very high level investigation. I will be upfront: my background in engineering is around software and I do not know much about vehicles or parts.
  • From my limited research, I see that the LX has an electronic parking brake and AHC as the two key mechanical differences over the LC. I am certain there are more...I am just not aware of them.
  • The LX part number for the cruise control distance sensor is 8821007010 this is shared across Lexus vehicles except the GX. It looks like this same sensor is used by Toyota for the Land Cruiser. Same story with the engine control modules and brake calipers.
  • If the cruise control detector and engine control are the same, I imagine it's the electronic brake that enables slowing down under 35 mph and brake hold. I imagine that would be the role of the electronic brake computer assembly part. I would love to how the associated components of the system fit together.
  • It looks like the LX specific parts involved with the electronic parking system would be $3-4k. For example, the parking brake cables are 10x the cost of the LC ones.
Again, the engineer in me is interested to understand how the systems work and gauge the feasibility on a scale of impossible to possible-but-costly-at-specialized-shop to weekend-garage-job.

I would appreciate any feedback from the community. Also paging @Eric Sarjeant who might be able to opine from the perspective of someone who has done a lot LC modification.

Cheers and have a good weekend all.

As far as I know the stock electronic brake module has the capability for brake hold because of everything it can do with crawl control, though in that mode it is quite noisy and I’m not sure lexus would tolerate that. So it may be the parking brake cables, but it may not.

My fear here would be that the brains of the system are programmed into some module on the CANBUS that is coded per VIN and the system won’t function unless it gets a VIN associated with a vehicle that should have that function. This could prevent you just taking the relevant brains from a Lexus and plugging it in. Some other manufacturer vehicles have people cracking the body control modules and doing all sorts of cool things with them but I haven’t heard of anyone doing the same with toyota.

As far as I know the stock electronic brake module has the capability for brake hold because of everything it can do with crawl control, though in that mode it is quite noisy and I’m not sure lexus would tolerate that. So it may be the parking brake cables, but it may not.

My fear here would be that the brains of the system are programmed into some module on the CANBUS that is coded per VIN and the system won’t function unless it gets a VIN associated with a vehicle that should have that function. This could prevent you just taking the relevant brains from a Lexus and plugging it in. Some other manufacturer vehicles have people cracking the body control modules and doing all sorts of cool things with them but I haven’t heard of anyone doing the same with toyota.
Ah yes good call on Crawl Control -- it does look like there is some sort of LC specific electronic parking brake switch: 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Electronic Parking Brake Control Switch. MATSUSHITA - 8455016060 - Genuine Toyota Part - https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2019_Land-Cruiser/Electronic-Parking-Brake-Control-Switch/62983434/8455016060.html I am not sure how it might/might not connect to crawl control

Also thanks for sharing the perspective on CANBUS. It's a good call out, and I am not sure how to evaluate if it might be a constraint here. Hoping some other folks who might be able to speak to that can chime in here..

Cheers

I can say in a 2010 LX, the hill roll back control is definitely the same system as the crawl control.. it’s very jarring when it kicks in, enough so that I usually try to catch it with the gas pedal rather than let the control kick in.

Ah yes good call on Crawl Control -- it does look like there is some sort of LC specific electronic parking brake switch: 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Electronic Parking Brake Control Switch. MATSUSHITA - 8455016060 - Genuine Toyota Part - https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2019_Land-Cruiser/Electronic-Parking-Brake-Control-Switch/62983434/8455016060.html I am not sure how it might/might not connect to crawl control

Also thanks for sharing the perspective on CANBUS. It's a good call out, and I am not sure how to evaluate if it might be a constraint here. Hoping some other folks who might be able to speak to that can chime in here..

Cheers
If you can find out what actually controls the all-speed radar cruise.. it may be the ECM or may be an additional module that communicates with it, and find out whether it needs to be coded to the individual vehicle it is installed in, that should answer the canbus comms question. If it is an off-the-shelf part that plugs in and works, it shouldn’t be vin specific.

I don’t have access to late model LX service manuals or I’d do some digging.

If you can find out what actually controls the all-speed radar cruise.. it may be the ECM or may be an additional module that communicates with it, and find out whether it needs to be coded to the individual vehicle it is installed in, that should answer the canbus comms question. If it is an off-the-shelf part that plugs in and works, it shouldn’t be vin specific.

I don’t have access to late model LX service manuals or I’d do some digging.
Diagram below shows how the system works

Curiously the ECM part number is the same across LC200 and LX, although to your point how it is programmed maybe different.

I'm going through this manual but I am afraid it is for the 2010 which I don't think had all speed cruise control...... Lexus Workshop Manuals > LX 570 V8-5.7L (3UR-FE) (2010) > Accessories and Optional Equipment > Collision Avoidance and Parking Assist Systems > Distance Sensor, Cruise Control > Component Information > Locations > Page 8529 - https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/lx_570/v8-5.7l_(3ur-fe)/accessories_and_optional_equipment/collision_avoidance_and_parking_assist_systems/distance_sensor_cruise_control/component_information/locations/page_8529/

My $41k 2021 Toyota RAv4 TRD package has this function. matter fact is has more modern technology than my 2017 LC.

My $41k 2021 Toyota RAv4 TRD package has this function. matter fact is has more modern technology than my 2017 LC.
And, it was developed for racing by toyota, apparently. Can’t get that with a cruiser...

I have a feeling that the difference is just the computer.

I retrofitted my 2011 GX460 to ADD radar cruise and pre-collision. Given that the radar sensors are the same on the 2016+ LX570 and LC200 I think the only difference is the computer. That being said simply adding the LX570 computer to add this feature could cause lots of other issues. (if this computer does other things)..I will have to find the exact computer that does this function. On the GX460 it was the called "Driver Support Computer"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom