Working on cars while brain dead (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
That's the only explanation I can come up with, so I'm cautioning all of you not to work on cars while you are temporarily insane or simply brain dead.

Swapped the 80 to winter tires last weekend, this weekend it's the Subaru's turn. Simple job. Jack up the entire left side with the 80-worthy 3.5 ton floor jack, pull both tires, slap winter tires on.

So. Picked up the left side, took off the summer tires and stupidly put the right side tires on it even though they're clearly labelled from last year. Didn't notice. Put the car down, lifted the right side. Put the clearly labelled left tires on the right side. Just before putting the car down, my sweet wifey came out to hand me a mug of steaming cocoa. Decided to lean against the 80 and admire my work. That's when I noticed.

So now I can either:
a) remove the winter tires from the right side and put the summer tires back on, drop it, then lift the left side and take the winter tires off that side put the correct winter tires on, then lift the right side again to remove the summer tires and put the correct winter tires on.

OR
b) remove the winter tires from the right side, find various chunks of wood to drop it on jack stands (no frame), lift the left side and take the winter tires off that side then put the correct winter tires on, then put the correct winter tires on the right side, let the left side down, come around to the right side and lift it off the jack stands and put it down.

I chose b. Somehow in my now irritated state, plus having 8 identical looking Michelins laying about the garage, I must have reswapped the rears. The thing was sitting on the ground with everything torqued to 78ft-lbs (again) when I noticed the directional arrow on the rear sidwall was backward. :whoops:

Unbelievable. Took me an hour and a half to do a 30 minute job. On the bright side, not one skinned knuckle and I got to see what the thing would look like with a 6 inch lift while it sat with all fours off the ground...... :-\

Doug (summarily withdrawing my application to the Penske Pit Crew)

ALso........don't read this post if your brain dead :D

Doug.....ya go me all confused ???

but after you pulled the bonehead move........couldn't you have just jacked up the whole front end......then swap em side to side? do the same on the rear........seems ALOT easier then what you did.......or am I missing something(no doubt brain cells ;)

John H

somehow I missed this little gem in your post

"I chose b. Somehow in my now irritated state, plus having 8 identical looking Michelins laying about the garage, I must have reswapped the rears. The thing was sitting on the ground with everything torqued to 78ft-lbs (again) when I noticed the directional arrow on the rear sidwall was backward. "

Bawhhahahahahahahahahaha :doh: :)

Thanks I feel much better about myself now.......kinda like when I go to Wal Mart and realize I'm only person in the store who isn't inbread mullet headed trailer trash(no offence to the Junk family)........makes me feel like the King of the World :flipoff2:

Old age! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-Doug's always helpful younger brother

JH,

When I noticed the screw up, the right side was still in the air on the jack, and it's kind of a pain to position the jack and a slab of wood in the right spot to jack it (dang unibodies!). So, it was easier to toss more wood and a pair of jackstands under it, then pull the jack around to the other side and lift it also. Now picture all 4 in the air for a fast swap.

Of course as you noted, I even screwed this step up and ended up with the rears in the wrong spot once it was on the ground. Good thing I'd just gotten back from a rare November road ride and was in a good mood...... :slap:

As for my brotherly flack, I guess you should know I'll be there in 6 weeks for Christmas and I know a LOT about Cruisers that can be put to good use. Hmmm....couple a minutes with a 24mm on the ol' diff drains outta quiet you down. :-*

Doug

Doug,

It's time you bought another pair of jack stands.

-B-

I have 4 (two 2 ton, 2 3.5 ton), how many do you think I need?? It was more a question of using what I have wisely - :D As in 'I didn't'.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom