Wiring up older round headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope I dont get kicked off here for posting a j?!p but my buddy asked me for help rewiring the lights on this. I havent gone to check it out yet but we are planning to run all new wires and switches.

My question is, what would be the easiest way to do these as far as switches/relays go? Do I need to go get the specific bulb specs first or would these round style lights use a generic relay? Any input is much appreciated.
66A3F2F5-5F6C-42C7-8DF2-5668733AE25F.jpeg

I hope I dont get kicked off here for posting a j?!p but my buddy asked me for help rewiring the lights on this. I havent gone to check it out yet but we are planning to run all new wires and switches.

My question is, what would be the easiest way to do these as far as switches/relays go? Do I need to go get the specific bulb specs first or would these round style lights use a generic relay? Any input is much appreciated. View attachment 2261359
What year is the Jeep?

Typically, the power for the headlights runs THROUGH the switch, depending on year.

On the older ones, you can set up a relay that will give higher power to the headlights and reduce the resistance in the ciruit by using a relay near the lights and using the current light switch to operate the relay.

A 30 Amp relay will easily cover stock headlights, which are typically 55W. 55W/12V = 4.6A = 5A draw per light so it's roughly a 10 amp circuit.Headlight switch will operate to close the relay on the headlights. You can run a relay to EACH headlight if you like.
The relays would have to be mounted near the headlight.
A heavy wire (10 Ga) would run direct from the battery to a 30A fuse, then to the relay.
From the opposite side of the relay would go to the power side of the headlight.
The opposite pole of the headlight would have to go to ground and need to be a 10 ga. heavy wire as well.

I would need to check, but since there is a second element inside the headlight for the high beam, you MAY be able to use the hi beam side of the switch to activate a second output of the relay or use a second relay altogether. Typically, the low beam is supposed to shut off when the high beam turns on or you'll overheat the bulb and burn it out.

Now you've got me thinking about doing this for my Studebaker to make the headlights brighter!

Here's what I found in a quick search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom