Wiring help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I'm having trouble getting the rear lighting wiring for my 68 fj figured out. When I got it, there were some things wrong w/the rear lights, but, for the most part, they worked fine. I had brake lights, turn sigs, right tail light, reverse light. However, when I turned on my left turn sig, both the left sig and the license plate light would blink. Seems like a crossed wire and should be easy to fix, right? Anyway, after trying a few things out, I managed to get both tail lights working but no turn signals. Started over. Now, for some reason, I'm getting no brake lights.

Currently, I have the wires disconnected from each other and am having trouble deciphering the wiring diagram from the back of the manual. The biggest hurdle is the set of trailer sockets. I don't have trailer sockets, but they're on the diagram and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Wires go into the socket and come out at another point. In one socket, there are six terminals. Five in the other (one is ground).

Does anyone live around the Springfield, VA area that has any experience w/this sort of thing? I was planning to take it to iron pig on Monday but, since I'm assuming I'll have to leave it over night, I won't be able to get it back before the meeting on Wednesday.

Anyway, back outside for more experimenting right now...any help that can be sent my way will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

breck

I'm nearby but am clueless when it comes to wiring. I just forwarded this out to the club mailing list. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Good luck!

Breck,

I can't help you with your wiring, but I have a couple of tips. As for you original problem of intermittent lighting problems, I would make sure you have good ground contacts at the lights, fuse block, turn signal, and battery/starter. You might even add an extra ground wire from the battery to the body, and maybe to the frame. This original problem sounded like a ground issue to me. I realize now, you have already started on the rear lights, but just check the grounds also. The other area I would have suspected, would have been the turn signal switch.

Josh

I wish I could offer some assistance, but I had Iron Pig fix my brake light issue after trying myself. It took Lance a while to find the problem (broken wire), so I know it would've taken me a lot longer. Wiring problems can be a real rat's nest, especially if POs have significantly modded the wiring for extra gauges, gadgets, etc.

If you are unable to get help, I'll be seeing Lance on Sunday to pick up my vehicle if you need me to relay any questions or requests. You can PM me if you wish.

Speak of the Devil...

Lance just replied to the club email with:

"He needs to ensure his signals and license plate lamp are grounded properly."

Thanks for the replies...I'm not sure where all the grounds are. I did found a couple...but the problem is now that I have untwined the wires where they had been previously cut and then reconnected and can't get them back in the same way...sigh. I think I'm up for a lot more trial and error tomorrow...

Test each wire with a multimeter if you have one or cheap test light from autoparts store. Example turn on left turn signal and check each wire until you have power (12v) write down what color wire it was and what it was :) hope this helps thats what I've done way too many times :frown: also another way to double check ground is to run a temp. wire from the (-) side of the battery.

Good luck,
Burl

Thanks for the hints...but my cruiser's been down at the Iron Pig for the better part of a week waiting for them to have time to give it a bumper to bumper diagnostic for all of its needs. They'll figure out the wiring there, hopefully. I did manage to get the rear turn sigs working as well as the taillights. No luck w/the brakes, tho. I did find what appeared to be a ground wire connected to the frame that had been cut. I'm guessing that was part of the problem. We'll see what Lance says when he gets a chance to look at it...hopefully soon as I'm excited to get working on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom