Wiring diagram (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow forum friends!

I have started the process of installing a Painless wiring harness on my 1972 FJ40. The PO I purchased from had some electrical issues that burned several areas of the harness but I’m fortunate that they left the entire OEM harness in tact.

I’ll preface my question by saying that I have done some extensive searches using the search function as well as looked through a number of posts and info by Coolerman and can’t seem to find what I’m looking for.

Is there any document or diagram available that identifies specifically what each wire is responsible for on a 1972 FJ40.

For example if I am trying to splice the original turn signal switch into the new harness: is there a digram that shows “Red/White wire = Left Blinker”
“Green/Blk wire = flasher”

Also- is the high/low beam switch for a 72 integrated into the turn signal cam? There is no dimmer switch on the floor and the turn signal cam seems to have a forward and backward motion that could be like “clicking the high/low beams”

Thank you!

Brandon

It sounds like you have a later steering column installed. A 72 would have a high/low beam switch on the floor. Later models have it in the column turn switch. Later models also had a separate turn and brake light. 72 would have a combination light with a brake/turn combo and used a 1157 bulb. Cruiser Wiring - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/wiringmainframe.htm

They ID the color wires in the diagrams

Last edited:
FYI 73 model year started 9/72. If US market the data plaque on the A pillar will have a month/year production date. High low beam was on the column on the 73 model. It is an odd model year. Face of the cluster had the turn signal indicators. But wiring was not the round plug like 9/73 (74 model) and 40 series after it have. Still uses a couple rectangular plugs like earlier years.

It sounds like you have a later steering column installed. A 72 would have a high/low beam switch on the floor. Later models have it in the column turn switch. Later models also had a separate turn and brake light. 72 would have a combination light with a brake/turn combo and used a 1157 bulb. Cruiser Wiring - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/wiringmainframe.htm

They ID the color wires in the diagrams
Thank you sir. Glad you noted that. I was pretty sure that the steering column hadn't been changed out so I did some deeper digging. Checked the vin plate again and the build date is actually Feb of '73 so it stands to reason that the Hi beams are on the blinker. Thank you for pointing that out!

The EWDs have both wiring diagrams (the physical routing, i.e., what goes where and what it's next to - this is very helpful, whether you can read an electrical schematic or not) and circuit schematics (the circuit logic). They are well worth the money, if you can find one. Toyota published a book with the schematics and diagrams for every model made in a given year, up to sometime in the mid 80s. You'll get the Corolla, Pickup and Cressida too, whether you need them or not.

Search for "1973 Toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram".

The wiring diagrams look like this: Coolerman's 1973 AUS model, although this one won't help you much. Marshall may have one (Trollhole's Cruisers. Mauldin, SC), but you'll have to call him; he doesn't seem to respond to posts on mud anymore.

Mine is a 2/73 as well. Doubt I could be of much help.
IMG_20200923_120956535.jpg
IMG_20200923_120947210.jpg

Before I pull the wiring harness I will make repairs to the harness and remove the all the add ons and hacks to the harness. Would be easier to work on it with the harness on a table but easier to make sense of where everything goes while still in the vehicle.

Here's something I didn't know I had:
AutoZone wiring diagrams
may not be useful for someone unfamiliar with electrical diagrams, and it isn't the FSM EWD, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom