Windshield wiper switch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40

I may grow older but I refuse to grow up!
Threads
My 74 FJ wiper switch is screwed up. When I push it all the way in to shut it off it still goes. If I jiggle it in & out it will stop. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and lubed the slider block. Still does it. I can't see why it is failing! I am a mechanic by trade and would like to think I could figure this one out but I'm starting to wonder about this one. Has anyone gone here before and can you give me any help. While I'm typing, do you have a good resource for buying a new switch. I live in the northwest where we have had something like 30 days of consecutive rain! We've had over a foot of rain this month alone! Wipers are a necessity

I think that when you push the switch all the way in (off), it activates the self-park to get the wipers to stop in the "tucked away" position. The problem may lie in the relay looking thing on the motor, and not in the switch.

Just a WAG.

ED:confused:

What relay?

Degnol said:
I think that when you push the switch all the way in (off), it activates the self-park to get the wipers to stop in the "tucked away" position. The problem may lie in the relay looking thing on the motor, and not in the switch.

Just a WAG.

ED:confused:
Is the relay on the motor itself?

Yes, originally there was and maybe still is, a little cover over it about 1/2x2", held by friction or a couple of machine screws. Underneath is what looks like a relay.

GL

Ed

My wipers do the exact same thing....its like they have a mind of their own.

I have to play with the switch to get them to stop in the right position...then, as I'm driving down the road, they turn on by themselves and go for one cycle and stop in the right spot.

Mine is worse, I have to time the wiper blades to the bottom position and shut off the switch for them to stay in the correct spot. That and it only has one speed now which is the slow speed when the knob is pulled all the way out. I think its time for a new switch... I re-wired my entire rig from 2 years ago so the wiring is good.

It took me 2 years to get around to figuring out the park to stop wire. It is only powered in the off position, and it powers the wiper blades until they come to the stop position, then the relay at the motor cuts the power.

On mine, the contact in the connector at the switch itself had corroded, so the power wasn't going to the wipers when in the off position. A few seconds with a minifile was all it took to fix it. (While I was in there, I cleaned up all of the contacts: what a concept!)

Couple of pics of the switch/relay on the motor.

If anyone knows how to service this thing.....:confused:

Ed
dawgs 004.jpg
dawgs 005.jpg

IDave said:
It took me 2 years to get around to figuring out the park to stop wire. It is only powered in the off position, and it powers the wiper blades until they come to the stop position, then the relay at the motor cuts the power.

On mine, the contact in the connector at the switch itself had corroded, so the power wasn't going to the wipers when in the off position. A few seconds with a minifile was all it took to fix it. (While I was in there, I cleaned up all of the contacts: what a concept!)

I don't want to hear simple solutions that defeats the purpose :flipoff2:

Degnol said:
Couple of pics of the switch/relay on the motor.

If anyone knows how to service this thing.....:confused:

Ed

Just pull it apart by unscrewing it and clean the contacts. Make sure they touch when they're supposed to. The little brown ball is what turns off the wiper when it is powered in the stop position on the switch. :D

Did that!

IDave said:

I took out the switch, pryed back the 4 little tabs holding the cover and took out the slider block with the contactor bar. I cleaned (emery cloth) the contactor tabs on the cover and the bar that goes on the slider. I cleaned out the case and put some white grease (small amount) for the block to slide on. I put the spring and ball in the block (tricky) and put it all back together. I put the switch back in the dash, hooked it up and realized that I wasted an hour of my life on Earth as a finite being on that friggin switch!

I Got it now!

I think I got it! I photoshopped the pic to help me clarify what you are talking about. The brown ball drops down allowing the contacts to engage ,energizing the wiper motor. When they reach the park position the bell ramps up and unseats the contacts deenergizing the motor. And I can see the contacts themselves. My best guess is the last hands to touch them were Japanese back in 1973. I bet they are pretty corroded. Thanks for the insight. I think I will be able to get her fixed this weekend
switch copy.jpg

MY balls don't park anything..........................................anymore:crybaby:

Thanks for the tip.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom