Windshield Molding Poping Up: Replace, Glue or Do nothing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

This maybe something small.... The trim of windshield on my passenger side is popping up. What should be the best way to deal with it. Replace? Glue? Or Leave it as is?

The windshield was replaced 3 year ago at an LX dealer under previous ownership. I believe replacement would be ideal. But I saw one video on YouTube that to secure the trim into the pillar frame seems driving nail into the frame. I am not sure if those are pre drilled hole on the frame or it has to be new holes to be created every time a new trim is installed. I also think there is a possibility that the previous installation of windshield does not 100% follow the FSM or something went wrong.

Any input is appreciated.

IMG_6441 2.jpg
IMG_6437 2.jpg
IMG_6444 2.jpg
IMG_6448 2.jpg

pope.png

IDK the answer really, but you can likely find a @2001LC thread about windshield trim that shows the proper way to do it.

The last install probably reused those moldings, pretty common for them to be jacked when that happens. It’s possible to make a mess of you yank the moldings back and try to ‘fix’. If it were mine I’d leave it alone until you need a windshield, or I’d pull the side cover on an a-pillar (outside car) and see if you have rivets or screws.

There is a detailed thread with how windshield and moldings should be installed

I called a LX dealer and they quoted about $400 - $500 if the molding need to be replaced. And they contract the job and with no warranty of the job will be done on windshield part. I would leave it as is for now and see if any wind noise. I have not got chance to drive the truck a lot after I got it. One concern is water, as I am not sure leave it as is will have any water problems.

I called a LX dealer and they quoted about $400 - $500 if the molding need to be replaced. And they contract the job and with no warranty of the job will be done on windshield part. I would leave it as is for now and see if any wind noise. I have not got chance to drive the truck a lot after I got it. One concern is water, as I am not sure leave it as is will have any water problems.
That’s the crux of tearing into it to fix it. I bought an otherwise good 100 a while back and I knew windshield wasn’t installed properly (rust bubble around window frame) so I had it fixed immediately.... it cost about $1500 for window frame repair/paint, windshield and moldings.

Well. I was able to take a look at the molding again. Then I found out play of the molding at the lower end at the passenger side. Opened the covered trim then found out the molding was secured by 4 rivet and 1 screw. and the molding is loosening at the lower end (photo attached). And the upper molding has a lot of black silicone glue stuff. After reading through LC2001's thread on windshield rust. Would assume the molding need to be replaced and the screw need to be removed to prevent rust? Was the the hole of the screw drilled by the windshield installer? The A pillar has no rust at all and the molding seems function now.

The last picture showing the trim piece. I think they put a aftermarket trim, but tried to use the old clip, and those clip head was about the size of the hole. Not saying half of the old clips were broke.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.22.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.57.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.54.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.25.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.26.34 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom