Window Regulators, . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. A lot of you have seen my window reg hack, and now I want to explain in more detail...
Hopefully it saves a bit of headache for some, as these aren’t exactly plentiful.

Apparently, the front and rear gearboxes are identical per side. The difference in location requires the swing arm be fixed to either the lowest link hole in the output gear on a rear door, or the second lowest on the front door.
29E4EAEA-B49F-403F-91B7-F8025F0BBB56.jpeg
E49E7D1E-D8AB-44F6-B781-827DE9B91EC4.jpeg

Now, I’m not sure about your rigs, but mine have a lot less travelers in the rear than the drivers seat, hence, my rear gearboxes were almost perfect compared to the sharp-as-broken-toothed output gear, wallerred out toothless-bent-shaft-input gear backside bushing, no-thrust-washer-on-the-fixed-end-pivot front door window reg gear box, so I figured i’d swap em out. And if I’ve just told your story, then so should you ;)

So here is how:

Action:
Place a complete front and rear reg on your bench and inspect:
The teeth of the input shaft where the handle fixes
The teeth of the output gear- actuate the input to see the full set of teeth
The rear side input gear bush

Note: do not use a worn reg to fix a worn reg- keep looking; they are going to become hard to find so start looking for rear door regs now.
C6B5C301-5BDC-47BE-9B64-91FB65D15DBA.jpeg

( I will be exploring how to swap the input gears and flip the springs so we can also swap side to side one day.)

Once you are satisfied you have a suitable donor, take pics of everything, then drill out the rivit on the output gear to swingarm, and pry loose with a big screwdriver- there is a disc spring (or should be) between the gear and arm. Keep the spring for use in reassembly.

Let’s talk about the rivit you just destroyed...
It’s called a step or shoulder rivit and is not obtainable. At least, not in the size and numbers we need. The rivit you just drilled measured 9mm wide by 6mm long at the shoulder. The head was 14 mm diameter and 1mm high. The business end was a 6mm solid rivit. If you find one, let me know. This is how I replaced it...

Parts:
3/8”OD x 1/4”ID x 1/4”OAL; 1/16” tall x 9/16” diameter flange oilite bushing
OEM disc spring
1/4” x 1/2” OAL solid steel rivit; 9/16” diameter flat head.
B9AFE586-FE4A-422B-99DC-B64EE974E81F.jpeg

Before you go getting bunched up short pants over the SAE parts, I could not find shelf kept metic parts that would work. All parts are available at McMaster Carr. I also enlisted the help of a 1/16” thick 3/8” ID x 3/4” OD nylon washer at the fixed end pivot, along with the same bush and rivit listed above to repair it. Same set of parts can be used to repair the swingarm to actuator the input.

Action:
Drill the big hole on the swingarm or pivot point to 3/8”
Drill the small hole to 1/4”
Insert the bush into the swingarm
Place the spring disc onto the stub of the bushing
Place the gearbox output gear hole (second from bottom for front door) over the small end of the bushing careful not to catch the disc spring between the parts, and run the rivit thru the assembly, set the head plumb on a stable anvil, and set the rivit. Use a hammer or an air hammer.

The rivit can be run in in either direction, thanks to the flange of the bushing, and the fact that the bushing becomes fixed to the rivit and fixed point
ADDA672A-A632-490C-88E7-2C1C41D790F3.jpeg

More to come... we will learn how I plan to repair the rollers and thrust washers on the slides... pics to follow.

Last edited:
Look around, my thumbs are tired!

The shoulder of the rivit is about 1mm taller than the gear or arm material that rides on the bushing. This allows the arm to pivot on the shoulder without binding on the gear. The two parts are kept away from each other by the force applied against the two parts by the disc spring. Pretty much all the linkage pivot points were built in this way- the door latch linkage, lock linkage, and all pivots on the window actuators.

Here is a divers window reg...
550C475E-A566-4F76-ACE4-D3DF9DFB4EDD.jpeg

Upside down- oops...
I’m pointing at the second lowest hole on the output gear, which is the pivot for front doors.
You can also see the fixed end pivot bracket, which likely wants a new thrust bearing. Also visible are the drag link slide and the window actuator slide- both parts and captive to the assembly via shoulder rivit mounted sprung rollers with thrust bearings which keep the slides in contact with the rollers and thrust bearing, and helps to keep things as quiet as they might be. Lol.
The thrust bearings on the tracks are likely shagged out and causing binding between the rivit head and track material.
Here is a picky if the suspects...
73AF2F0A-5A51-4F19-BEE8-75EC34A9BA0D.jpeg

23CFC3E4-EA02-49DA-B899-6C8F805FD776.jpeg

Yeah yeah yeah... just stand on your head to read it...

Due to the size of the existing rollers and springs, and given there isn’t room to oversize the holes etc, I’m using the following gear...

Parts:
5/16” OD x 1/4” ID x 1/2” long oilite sleeve bearing- without flange
1/4” x 5/8” steel solid rivit with 9/16” diameter flat head
.25” ID X 3/4” OD x 1/16” thick nylon washer (for #12 screw)

The springs should still have enough free length and oomph to keep tension with the .25mm longer shoulder but a thin shim might be used to add some force if needed. It’ll need to be very thin, and have an 8mm ID with a 9mm OD...

Hey, thanks, man! It is nice to be able to wear non junk... as if I know how!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom