Wind on Wando and Ravenel Bridges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some self-diagnosed PTSD after rolling my 4Runner at highway speeds in Colorado this summer. Long story short after 3 days of driving the bolt holding the driver’s side rear lower link worked its way out just north of Durango. The truck started swaying and struggling to stay in the lane. The feeling was as if strong gusts of wind were pushing us. It didn’t feel right so I slowed down coasting, but the moment I hit the brake, the rear wheel flew into the slider/rear door, spun us 180... well you can imagine the rest.

So now I’m in a sweet 200 series with a brand new OME lift. I went super conservative, it’s only 2”. I’m running rock warriors on 285/70r17 BFG KO2. It’s great on and off roads, but NOT driving over the Wando or Ravanel... Every gust of wind seems to push me all over the lane. I can’t tell if its in my head or if the lift is impacting me. Truthfully, I think it’s in my head because I drove my mom’s little RX thing and felt a similar sensation, although she felt the gusts too.

Anyone else feel extra blown around going over the Wando these past 60 days or so? Am I crazy?

44C61E38-07C6-4810-ADB3-0DDB5E6FB732.jpeg

I have a ‘99 LX and a ‘13 GX. Both stock, LX has 33”ers on it with all new ball joints/tie rods. I certainly know what you’re talking about. Anything reading over 15 mph on windy.com and both trucks will get pushed around and I’m bouncing between the lane lines with a good gust. We’ve had many days with 25+ mph gusts and those certainly move the trucks. The wind is a little more intense at the bridge elevation if it’s offshore since it’s essentially unobstructed. You’re definitely not alone here.

I have some self-diagnosed PTSD after rolling my 4Runner at highway speeds in Colorado this summer. Long story short after 3 days of driving the bolt holding the driver’s side rear lower link worked its way out just north of Durango. The truck started swaying and struggling to stay in the lane. The feeling was as if strong gusts of wind were pushing us. It didn’t feel right so I slowed down coasting, but the moment I hit the brake, the rear wheel flew into the slider/rear door, spun us 180... well you can imagine the rest.

So now I’m in a sweet 200 series with a brand new OME lift. I went super conservative, it’s only 2”. I’m running rock warriors on 285/70r17 BFG KO2. It’s great on and off roads, but NOT driving over the Wando or Ravanel... Every gust of wind seems to push me all over the lane. I can’t tell if its in my head or if the lift is impacting me. Truthfully, I think it’s in my head because I drove my mom’s little RX thing and felt a similar sensation, although she felt the gusts too.

Anyone else feel extra blown around going over the Wando these past 60 days or so? Am I crazy?

Don't listen to @Eliot , it's your truck. Just your truck. you should sell it to me for safe measure ;). Yeah, you can get pushed around a bit in these things. I worked in forensics (vehicle accident reconstruction) at the beginning of my career and that job is what sold me on Toyota SUV's in the first place. An accident you could walk away from in a Toyota SUV may have a different result in a different brand vehicle. Chevy Blazers were the worst that I saw... Also, for what it's worth, suspension bridges are designed to move a bit.

@RichardS I'll beat any offer @CharlestonG8R throws at ya!

Jeremy makes a great point. I hadn't even thought of the fact that the wind blowing the truck combined with the bridge swaying around would multiply the affects of the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom