Winch Theft Protection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has sort of worried me for a long time. Do you guys have any good ideas on winch protection techniques? I think the goal would just be to make it a little harder to remove the winch.

I seem to recall that Warn used to offer theft resistant bolts, something like used on wheel locks but in a bolt form. I think McCarr or some other company like that may still sell something along those lines.

I have also heard of spot welding freeze plugs over the winch bolts. This would prevent someone from just unbolting the winch easily, but apparently you can still remove the winch with a little work by breaking the spot welds off to remove the freeze plug.

What do you guys think?

Jared

Jared-

Just went through the same thing. After rebuilding my 8274, I really didnt like the idea of someone turning 4 bolts and walking away with it. So I bought one of Tuffys new bolt locks...

It is as heavy duty as I would expect from Tuffy, and it is keyed so I can remove it when I want to and not worry about grinding on my bumber and the attached bolts.

I got mine for 30 bucks at the local 4x4 shop.

Rezarf <><

I would usually replace one bolt with an allen head. Then take a lead fishing weight and pound it into the allen part. If you ever need to remove the bolt just heat it up and the lead drips out. that's my cheap .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom