Winch installation with battery on/off switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After probably too much reading, I ordered a Blue Sea Systems 3000, HD-Series Heavy Duty On-Off Battery Switch to shut off power from the battery to the new winch. The instructions for the switch describe running two cables from the load to the switch, and two again from the battery to the switch. Any idea why it would need this, what seems like, redundant wiring?

1602007374683.png

1602007355167.png

I have an older battery switch OFF, Batt1, Batt2, or both. I use a single wire to the terminals. The wires are huge so I am confident they can handle the load. The switch has held up well for years and sometimes I'm pulling 8 trucks up a snowy hill in succession.

@LS13
Calculate the max load of the winch. Verify the battery switch can handle that load.

Then measure how long the 2 AWG run will be. There are charts showing you the max amps allowed over a length of wire. You need to make sure you won't melt the wire and start a fire.

Only you can calculate this.

@LS13
Calculate the max load of the winch. Verify the battery switch can handle that load.

Then measure how long the 2 AWG run will be. There are charts showing you the max amps allowed over a length of wire. You need to make sure you won't melt the wire and start a fire.

Only you can calculate this.

Thank you for the info, the winch manufacturer recommend a 500amp switch and the Blue Sea 3000 can handle 600amp, would this be adequate ?

I went with zero gauge welding pliable wire from one battery to the other. I think, don't quote me, that I ran 2 gauge from winch to the manual switch since it was such a short run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom