Winch hook vs. closed link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Got my new winch yesterday and now I'm looking at other recovery gear I need to go with it. I like the closed loop idea for several reasons and will probably do some form of a FlatLink like Factor55 to replace the hook. IMO, the only advantage of a hook is slight convenience in use and lower cost. To each their own on that.

Then I thought, if you're going closed loop, why do you really need anything attached to the cable/rope thimble when the winch is not in use? A flatlink is just another part with a hole to attach a shackle to. You are just adding a redundant component the rigging. If your going closed loop, why not just connect a shackle to the cable/rope thimble when you need it? You would have to figure out a way to attach the rope thimble to something so it just doesn't flop around and to keep tension on the rope when the winch was not in use. From a safety point of view, reducing the number of parts and pieces in the rigging to a minimum seems like a good idea and you could invest the savings into something else.

My biggest concern with attaching directly to the thimble is that it could potentially damage the relatively thin metal or get knocked loose during winching if it became sideloaded or isn’t being pulled perfectly straight. The Factor 55 flatlink protects the thimble and rope end from getting damaged, and it makes for an easy point to grab onto and pull winch cable. It also of course disallows the thimble to get pulled through the fairlead onto the spool when winching in which is important, but most of all it gives you a solid point to set up rigging where you know it’s not going anywhere. It may seem expensive, but I think the piece of mind is worth it. It’s super easy to install too, and I did a quick video of an install plus comparison of the flatlink vs the stock Warn VR12S hook here:

I don't know how much of a gimmick/marketing it is, but the whole closed systems makes a lot of sense to me. If it is just marketing, it worked on me.

You could have the best of both worlds with the Factor 55 Ultrahook. It has both a closed attachment point and a gated hook with a locking pin.

I have the Flatlink E, but haven't really tested it, so can't say whether it is good/bad or otherwise.

One reason I wouldn't leave any of these ones that attach with the pin detached is the internal circlip that retains the titanium pin. I wouldn't want to fuss around with the circlip pliers and that tiny little circlip all the time at the trailhead or trail side. I definitely wouldn't want to deal with that after something goes pear shaped.

FD009A18-6570-41C8-A747-11227D1AF2AE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom