winch drum unspools (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I decided to keep my old winch cable and today I got it all re-spooled on the pto winch drum.
The winch drum "brake" does not make enough friction to prevent the cable from trying to unspool itself.
I think maybe when I reassembled the winch I did not "pre-wind" the spring that pushes on the little brake shoe enough.
I tried some wedges between shoe and drum but they could not hold the drum either.
I put a C clamp on there but I am sure it will fall off.
I do not want to take the bumper and stuff off again just to fix this.
Is there another fix?

upload_2017-2-26_16-50-29.png

upload_2017-2-26_16-50-50.png

I've always just left my winch with the dog clutch engaged when I'm not using it. Nothing that would let you pull the rope out easily would stop the wire rope from making a big tangle driving around with it out of gear I think.

It can depend on the size & type of rope how much it wants to unspool with the clutch disengaged. Mine usually isn't too bad but one trick we have used on a mate's comp truck with a huge PTO winch spool was to make a brake for the drum out of a piece of UHMWPE (plastic chopping board) loaded against the back of one side of the drum with a bungee cord, just alter the tension on the bungee to adjust the amount of braking so the rope can be pulled off easily but it doesn't over run & snarl up.

Cheers
Clint

As Clint said... I always have the winch drum dogs engaged. Winch in the rope and disengage at the gear box / PTO lever in the cab. Normally have hook attached to some part of the front bar. The little brake pad is only really there to slow down the drum when unspooling it to prevent overrun. Not to stop it completely. And wire rope will always have a spring in it and have a mind of its own.

I will take your advice... Thanks fellas!
I work at a boarding school and I am always paranoid of stuff teenage boys might get into.
Like playing with shift levers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom