Will a US-spec 1FE distributor fit my UK-spec 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, question in the title. I have a '95 RHD cruiser built for the UK, it was imported a few years ago. Last week my engine died, and the shop thinks it's the distributor (They can't hook it up to know for sure). One shop I called for the part told me they're not sure if a US-spec distributor will work for my truck, even though it's the same model engine and drivetrain. Apparently, the VIN I have for it on my title is no good, so I can't use that to verify for sure.

Would I indeed have issues putting a US-spec part in my UK-spec engine? Thanks.

Look on your distributor. There might be a part number on it. That would be helpful.

s-l500.jpg

Hi all, question in the title. I have a '95 RHD cruiser built for the UK, it was imported a few years ago. Last week my engine died, and the shop thinks it's the distributor (They can't hook it up to know for sure). One shop I called for the part told me they're not sure if a US-spec distributor will work for my truck, even though it's the same model engine and drivetrain. Apparently, the VIN I have for it on my title is no good, so I can't use that to verify for sure.

Would I indeed have issues putting a US-spec part in my UK-spec engine? Thanks.
What issues are you experiencing that your shop thinks it's the distributor? It's very rare that they need to be replaced.

What issues are you experiencing that your shop thinks it's the distributor? It's very rare that they need to be replaced.
Basically I lost all throttle response when I was driving down the highway, I tried to give it some gas but I heard something pop and the engine quit. Beforehand it was doing a lot of shuddering. For probably a couple of weeks. Shop thinks I blew the distributor but don't have a code reader that can hook up to the UK codes to know for sure.

That would be the first blown distributor I've ever heard of. I'd really like to see the pictures.

Basically I lost all throttle response when I was driving down the highway, I tried to give it some gas but I heard something pop and the engine quit. Beforehand it was doing a lot of shuddering. For probably a couple of weeks. Shop thinks I blew the distributor but don't have a code reader that can hook up to the UK codes to know for sure.
First, there is nothing in the distributor that will "pop" then make it quit.

If it was shuddering beforehand, there are a number of things it could be.

Coupling with the shuddering and pop, I would lean towards a timing chain and possibly a chain guide broke, causing the chain to slack and possibly slip, then break.

The shop needs to do a MUCH better job of diagnosis, such as a compression test, leakdown test, maybe pull the valve cover to inspect the cams and timing chain, pull the spark plugs to indicate condition.

Odds are this is NOT the distributor unless the cap or rotor broke.

I'm fairly confident that any 1FZ-FE distributor engine distributor will work in your UK version.

Get on www.partsouq.com and find the part number and range of the distributor for YOUR truck.

1910066020 08/1992-01/1998 This is what shows on my USA 1996 1FZ-FE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom