Wildland Fires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Dan for thinking of us! Another crazy event in a tragedy stricken 8-10 months for our community.

This fire ("The Washoe Drive fire"):
3,700+ acres burned
20+ homes destroyed
Hwy 395 between Mt. Rose Highway (Hwy 431/341) and the south end of Washoe Valley closed indefinitely due to power poles/power lines, fire debris littering the road surface)
Lots of smoke here
Winds forecasted to be 60mph again this afternoon
Rain on the way (this would be GREAT...)

Dan

Yes, Hope everyone is ok.

Ken

We drove some of the hills above PV today, the damage is scattered all over the area.
Some good friends lost their home. It looks like several of our kids' classmates lost their homes.

North end of Little Washoe Lake:
IMG7601-XL.jpg

South end of Little Washoe Lake:
IMG7635-XL.jpg

It looks like Pagni Canyon burned out. Lots of good memories with the kids. I'll check it out once we dry out again.
IMG7631-XL.jpg

Southern PV got hit pretty bad.
IMG7609-XL.jpg

Several homes around the school burned just after the evacuation.
IMG7655-XL.jpg

Neighborhood where our friends' house was lost. The first fire pictures we saw on RGJ were of their house.
IMG7664-XL.jpg

Bad effing deal.

I had to drive around the fire Thursday afternoon, so I drove up to the lake and down Mt. Rose, as I was driving down, the fire was in full rage, it was an incredible sight.

Will in one of your pictures of PV, you can see a friends house, luckily for them, their house was spared.

I can't believe someone would have disposed of ashes in that wind, unfreakingbelieveable.

This fire was bad enough that my parents saw it on National TV and called, which they never do.

Jack

We spent all day yesterday helping those who stayed and fought the fire to save their property.

There are some very important lessons to be learned.

Defensible space is useless if you leave the juniper and the dried out pine tree touching your house.

When the wind is blowing 60-70 and you see fire, you have about 3 minutes to grab your crap and run, or you better be ready to defend your stuff with a hose.

When the power goes out, so does the water in your well.

You should keep all flammables away from your propane tank.

Wood shingles burn better than all the rest, but even tile roofs are no match for a really hot fire.

The heat from this fire, even moving at 60 miles per hour, caught bushes on fire that were 30-40 feet from anything that was flammable.

Plastic fences burn slower than wood fences.

Goggles are your friend, because hot embers in the eye suck balls.

If you leave your home, don't expect to be able to come home any time soon.

When you are staring at a wall of fire 50 feet high that is screaming like a banshee and burning everything in sight, your possessions don't seem all that important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom