Wilderness Roof Racks by Garvin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a Garvin Wilderness Roof Rack (Off Road or Sport Series) mounted on an 80? How do you like it? Post pictures if you have them.

18547757.jpg

18549403.jpg

18547779.jpg

I like it, has takin some good abuse.

[glow=black,2,2]Damn , the one I put on my old 4Runner looks just like that one . Only difference is that I always had the impression that if one was motivated to , they would easily be able bend the s***e out of it ... I purchased it at Performance Products . Must be a cheapo knockoff . :rolleyes: :slap:

-*idea*- For kicks I ought to remount it on the 80 , and fawkin blast my way into the underground parking some nite ... haha . The condo corp comittee do-gooder watch dog fuglies would looooooove that !! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:[/glow]

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

I actually got a free roof rack by someone driving under some trees with a roofrack on. They had an older Isuzu with the auto locking hubs. They kept coming unlocked. They engaged them manually but then they couldn't back up. The guy went tearing through the woods to turn around because he couldn't back up and ripped the roofrack off. He acted like it was no big deal. At the beginning of the trip is was a nice Isuzu, by the end it was trashed. I asked if he was going to go get it. He said it was not a big deal. So I went over and picked it up, broke it down and tossed it in the back of my Cruiser. It became parts for a different roofrack. I wouldn't do it to my Cruiser as it really screwed up his roof. Sunroof started leaking etc....

Thanks for the pics. I've about decided to go with the garvin rack. I just haven't decided whether to get the Off Road Rack or the Sport Series Rack. I kind of like the convenience of the Sport Series Rack attaching to the factory rack. That way I have the option of taking it off and still having the factory rack on the vehicle. Does anyone see any negatives to that configuration?

By mounting it to the factory roof rack you really limit how much you can put on it. Maybe 150 lbs with the weight of the rack included? By using the gutter mounts you are spreading the weight out and you placing the weight on a structurely more sound piece of the roof. You aren't going to flex a rain gutter too much. If you put a lot a weight in the flat part of your roof it will flex a lot. Flex = weakness in this case.

Understood. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a rack and be limited to 150lbs.

Thanks,
Ben

That and the whole factory roof rack rust issue....Say ya want to get thet rack removed, now your garvin is no good to ya...gutter mount is the way to go...

Is the area around the factory roof rack prone to rust?

>> Is the area around the factory roof rack prone to rust? <<

Yes, even in the desert! Plus the plastic "feet" wear through the paint to bare metal. Take a look under the pads at your first opportunity and correct the issues even if you have to do a quick fix.

-B-

LandPimp...

So, which or where do you keep your hi-lift most of the time? On the rack or on the bumper? :)

I have been thinking about a rack and I don't know if I want my jack up on the rack. But I do like the idea of mounting it on the inside so it doesn't reach out and grab someone :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom