Why's my coolant grayish? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently checked the coolant in the coolant reservior tank and to my surprise the color is a grayish color. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with my coolant system? Do I need to flush and replace coolant for the radiator? I always thought the color of coolant should be greenish.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-J

J,

Your coolant should be reddish (Toyota specific). You definitely need to flush the coolant (radiator & block). Procedure is dead simple - takes only about 10 minutes of wrenching and 30 minutes for the truck to empty out the waste.
(procedures could be found in search)

Also, remove the reservoir & clean it - I had very fine grayish sand/clay at the bottom; most likely yours has it too.

Regards,
Frank.

Frank, Thanks for the inormation. I most likely will go to my mechanic or the Lexus dealership to get this done.

-J

J,
I strongly suggest that you do some searches on this forum to become informed before taking your truck to the dealer. Search on "radiator" and "sludge" (or maybe "crud".) We have had many excellent threads with a comprehensive discussion and pics. Do an advanced search; limit to the 80/100 section; expand days to 300. Keep trying combinations of words (e.g. flush, coolant, grey, gray, casting, drain, ... you get the idea.)

No definitive answers yet.... but lots of information that you should get up to speed on ASAP.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom