Why Won't My Wheel Spin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry about the long post. Did a search and couldn't find anything.

A couple weeks ago while replacing the rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders on my 40, I noticed that the lower retainer pin and clip were missing on the right side. Having not ordered new pins, I finished the repair without it and drove the truck minimally (stupid, I know) while waiting for the new pin and clip to come in.

This past weekend I finally installed the missing retainer pin and clip (thanks, CDan). When I drove it around a little afterwards, it felt like the brake was holding a little, so I figured I didn't adjust the brakes correctly. Followed the write-up in tech but to no avail.

Bottom line is - with the rear wheels in the air and the left wheel off, I can easily turn the hub by grasping the studs. With the wheel on loosly, I can turn it, and it will turn with one lugnut tightened. But when I tighten a second nut, the wheel won't budge. I've made sure the wheel is on straight. I've tried putting the wheel on in a different orientation - spinning it 180 degrees. Both the cylinders are contracted all the way in, and I can easily slid the drum on and off.

What am I doing wrong??

Could be one of the reman shoes is the wrong one. Are all 4 new shoes the same width?

I was thinking the the shoes were too wide as well. Have you looked inside the drum to see where it is being rubbed? May not be the shoes but something is wider than it should be.

Chris

The shoes are all new and toyota parts. I didn't see anything wrong when I had it off, but something else being in there that's too wide makes sense. That would explain why it only binds up when the wheel is torqued down. I'll take another look this afternoon. Thanks.

Felix

you want to have the wheels on and torqued when you are adj the brakes this is because the the drums will change shape.

Victory!

Quazii and theo, you guys were absolutely right. It was the outer edge of the brake shoe that was rubbing against the drum when it was tightened, but it wasn't that the shoe was too wide. The cause was a small lump of dried, caked-on dirt on the backing plate. It was just in the right spot to push the edge of the brake shoe out enough to contact the drum. The reason the problem just started is that without the retaining pin and clip, the lower shoe was being pulled up and away from the backing plate by the springs. This wasn't helping any actual braking, but it did allow the drum to fit on.

Thanks, guys. And thanks, Rogers, now I can take your advice and adjust it correctly.

Felix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom