Why Join? From a newbie... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would just like some opinions on why I should join, I am interested but don't like to blow money. I just bought a perfect FJ-60 for myeself and am and always have been interested in putting one in fully restored condition. I would also like to learn all the intricacies of this vehicle. I am a Rover fan also so I understand quite a bit about 4x4 and the particulars. Is that what this club/association is about?

Cool thanks,

How do you feel about the associaton for US owners? Or is it geared for Aussies which is what I see as the common thread.

Thanks for the input though

[quote author=Surge link=board=10;threadid=3906;start=0#msg28803 date=1059154856]
Cool thanks,

How do you feel about the associaton for US owners? Or is it geared for Aussies which is what I see as the common thread.

Thanks for the input though
[/quote]

actually it is quite the opposite, the large majority of members are Americans. i will be joining shortly...

Here's a few reasons:
don't like to blow money
just bought a perfect FJ-60
interested in putting one in fully restored condition
like to learn all the intricacies of this vehicle

I'd say you're a prime candidate Surge. Give it try I'm betting you won't be disappointed.

OK I have to say that I am finding these responses to be quite sad. Everything has been about what the prospective member will personally get out of it. What about what the associate does outside of the Trails Magazine? Have any trails been kept open? Have there been any organized trash runs? Any fights won against the greenies? I NEVER hear a thing about this. I've a newbie member that has been at it for just my first year. I don't know if I will sign up for another year if I don't here more about political movement or trail closure issues. :doh:

[quote author=DunBroke link=board=10;threadid=3906;start=msg53382#msg53382 date=1066768638]
OK I have to say that I am finding these responses to be quite sad. Everything has been about what the prospective member will personally get out of it. What about what the associate does outside of the Trails Magazine? Have any trails been kept open? Have there been any organized trash runs? Any fights won against the greenies? I NEVER hear a thing about this. I've a newbie member that has been at it for just my first year. I don't know if I will sign up for another year if I don't here more about political movement or trail closure issues. :doh:
[/quote]

Those are not the reasons I belong to TLCA....

Those ARE the reasons I belong to United 4WD Associations and to Blue Ribbon Coalition, and the reasons I belong to state/local clubs and support the local efforts towards trail responsibility, including cleaning/maintenance and fighting for access. TLCA also believes in these, and it's why they support both United and BRC as an organization.

I belong to TLCA because I enjoy the events, enjoy the Trails, and enjoy the additional comaradarie that the national organization brings about.

I guess I would just like to see how exactly they are supporting these other organizations. I'm not trying to rip anyone here...I just never hear about anything other than the Trails Mags. Personally...I just don't have gobs of money to be spending on national associations here and there to see some money somewhere going to keeping the trails open. I want that money going into my rig! :doh:

-Me

Individual memberships:
TLCA = $27 per year
BRC = $20 per year
UFWDA = $25 per year

I also recognize the "limited funds" issue, but frankly, my repairs from this past weekend were more than those three combined....hehehe

And like anything, you get out exactly what you put in...joining gets you two things...a newsletter/information and your name added to an important list of supporters. What you do with that information is up to you.

I'm sure someone knows exact figures on the support levels.

Hi DunBroke.... sorry I did not personally respond sooner!

I have touched on this issue many times. TLCA is not primarily focused on land use issues. When I say Not Primarily Focused, what I mean is that our focus is Membership, Toyota Trails and TLCA events. This is what we do. TLCA also strongly supports organizations such as BRC and United! We support them with cash donations, free space in Trails and discounted memberships to TLCA who join these groups.

In other words.... we let these organizations who focus on land use issues do our fighting for us. We support them in their efforts. As you know, land use in general is a huge issue, one that takes full focus and commitment.

If you open any Toyota Trails, you will find advertisements to join these organizations and because you are a TLCA member, you can join at a reduced rate... this is s bonus for being a TLCA Member. We pay them for that right.

Now remember, we are a national organization. Many of our Canadian members are not that fond of BRC... it does not support Canada. They usually go along with our desire to budget money for these groups because they understand the need in the US... but how does that help them in Canada or Australia or New Zealand?

Also, two years ago, TLCA donated $2000 directly to BRC to secure new IT hardware.... the entire time our budgets were strapped and our own hardware in poor shape. Why? Because TLCA supports these organizations and at the time, that is what they needed.

As President of TLCA, I just completed the Recreational Leadership Training Course created by Del Albright of BRC and Friends of the Rubicon. Why? Two reasons, first, I needed the training and second, the money supports Del and BRC.

Did you see that TLCA postponed Rubithon last summer due to environmental concerns around the spring run off in the National forest? This was an extreme hardship for all Rubithon attendees but TLCA set the example by acknowledging the issues and doing what was right for the trail in general and not our personal benefit as an association.

And finally, one of TLCA's goals as an organization is educating our members about responsible outdoor and backcountry use. I interpret this as notifying our members about land use organizations and encouraging they support these organizations, including financially.

Are we the best we can be? Probably not. TLCA is made up of volunteers who donate their time freely. If someone does not stand up and take the lead in certain areas, then that area is usually deficient. Its only as good as we make it.
If you feel land use needs stronger representation, then don't wait for someone else to do it, volunteer and take the initiative. Don't read this as a slam, I'm simply saying that noting 'someone should take more action in this area' usually leaves one big hole... who the someone is. I personally felt TLCA needed some help with membership and retention, thus I volunteered to act as President and the goals and focus for 2003 reflect that commitment: Membership, Trails and events. Each of these 3 areas are doing well but not as well as I would like. Your note about possibly not renewing due to low land use efforts is disconcerting at best... but I understand your decision and actions. I also presume you are an active member in land use orgs such as BRC and choose to send your extra money there.

Finallyl, I hope you can see now that TLCA does support land use efforts but it is not our primary purpose. I hope that you also continue to be very active in land use issues, even if you decide TLCA is not for you. Each of us together comprise something larger than all of us together, but equal to each of us individually.

many thanks!

Tony Twiddy
TLCA President, active land use guy and 1st RLTC graduate!

DunBroke...

I forgot to mention that if you attend any of the primary trail clean ups here in CA such as Rubicon clean up and Fordyce clean up, you'll find TLCA merch. being raffled off at these events. TLCA donates to these groups for the reasons you note, supporting them in their efforts to clean the trail, keep it open and add enjoyment to the many folks who actually do volunteer their time and get their hands dirty in the process.

I just wanted to mention that because I felt it was very important and those groups are very appreciative for our raffle donations. By donating to these and other non TLCA type events, we are supporting the off road community, advertising TLCA and supporting the groups/clubs hosting the event.

thanks!

You guys are questioning spending $25.00 per year? Give me a break.

Individual memberships:
TLCA = $27 per year
BRC = $20 per year
UFWDA = $25 per year

If those are accurate prices this thread shouldn't even exist. JOIN THE CLUB, because other experienced cruiser owners have.

(whoa...I'm not in any of the clubs...calling the kettle black here. So where do I join?)

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=10;threadid=3906;start=msg54659#msg54659 date=1066967091]
If those are accurate prices this thread shouldn't even exist. JOIN THE CLUB, because other experienced cruiser owners have.

(whoa...I'm not in any of the clubs...calling the kettle black here. So where do I join?)
[/quote]

there are 3 rotating banners on the forum right now...click the appropriate banner and it will take you to each organizations website where you can sign up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom