Why is this button not lit - of all the buttons in the LC200. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
3DD564F1-07C5-46D3-A5D0-2C3AB642F4FE.jpeg
I have a 2021 LC and since the time change I have been reaching for the interior cabin light more often. Unfortunately it’s really hard to find the right button because of all the bright illuminated buttons in my car the one that is not illuminated is the one for the overhead cabin lights.

Please someone tell me a good reason for this. Alternatively tell me that mine is just brand new and broken and that I can get it fixed - that would make me happy.

Here is a picture of the overhead light button. As you can see the sunroof controls are nicely illuminated.

It's not lit. There's a bump on the on/off so you can feel that one and know where you're at, but you'll just need to get used to it.

It ticks me off as well and the fact that they didn't put a dimple on the spot/map light buttons is even more perplexing. We had a LX570 prior to the LC and it had haptic/3D touch lights, you simply soft touched the light itself to turn it off/on, a much preferred system IMHO.

It ticks me off as well and the fact that they didn't put a dimple on the spot/map light buttons is even more perplexing. We had a LX570 prior to the LC and it had haptic/3D touch lights, you simply soft touched the light itself to turn it off/on, a much preferred system IMHO.
Agree!!

I wonder….can you swap the LX570 lights for the LC200. They look like the same size and outline. I’m assuming it will work.

No clue, I don't use them enough to care to be honest. It's just mildly agitating.

Thank you.

Out of curiosity - is it different in a LX570?

Yes, it was. Along with interior ambient lighting (little spot leds). Looks like the lower part of the 2021 LCs are more similar to the early gen LXs (my 2009 here) which I imagine would drop in.

zvIpInTbth4gbaLjtQkW-YLIgikMSYj81pArDFnkVCjszriQU8F98GshRWrlEYqZt5orLkBVBloUT5Z-AIMYGWBZnQdYfDVP01GXtXwXr-eC5RvrXA-Px1h2O6P9yROEL8KrlxJrEHALSSVcGmfyZXm4vZLmwN6TbAtpLEPXY8F9Af0k_EVURvADxYSfGr1wgcMmofN3mOmgBxXz627sbv_qb1TGtE1T1T3-JBdZp-Eco5cWNqGR_52zmg8nX_vapYbRdWKdpdYG9kukguWY_tAsnndHn3mz3TaS0xZ9SiVXRw0k6W8y3j6rwIMF9Y4a7kjyhKYwxD6R1NxHHj8AAD5ZzRJ23Ygg__hmSB6sDgA4eoJ5NIKVaSLFqBQ29pZRie0-tQA8NOn-mINoGBH-Jgz8Wl9BgTsIJsfRzEccnYPRKxjMcE8Suj9yti_DoPiRGp06gYH_1trFVviMiRmPAvfOYZVQXGJxQwLRlDnkWVwmfyKWbLJ2bXBbsgO0RuXlys2HSLp5aFGluZ7W9BeG1TAepMwyuK3rnno28Zj8o0CauC29FmWOMnqEThB1-7QPysUMA6nH8n2YxJjGomjfs6CFfKQfz5B53L9UxCNiqtvy3iciyorN7AvZW32eBoImc-CF_vo7NaWRV11XyyaUlmbfxk96mR0vIOPTL8eWcuHd2emTIEqHiA417gbMf-AoB1-xWYcYSZart8INmJZAUyfc=w2080-h1338-no

Give it some time. I spend 1/5 as many around-town miles in my cruiser as my daily and can hit those buttons in a half second if needed.

Also given the substantial wiring differences between LX and cruiser I’d be shocked if it drops in.. but it would be cool if it does.

View attachment 2839348I have a 2021 LC and since the time change I have been reaching for the interior cabin light more often. Unfortunately it’s really hard to find the right button because of all the bright illuminated buttons in my car the one that is not illuminated is the one for the overhead cabin lights.

Please someone tell me a good reason for this. Alternatively tell me that mine is just brand new and broken and that I can get it fixed - that would make me happy.

Here is a picture of the overhead light button. As you can see the sunroof controls are nicely illuminated.

I’ve always thought it was nuts that the only buttons that are ONLY ever reached for *in the dark*…are the smallest, fiddliest in the entire cabin….and *not* lit. A silly oversight to be sure.

Last edited:
It's just a terrible design.

It may be possible to retrofit. The wiring harnesses are 32-pin in both the 2013 LC and LX, but the pinouts are different. For instance pin3 on the LC is used for a ground but on the LX it's used for... something in a second harness or ECU I can't immediately discern. That said you might be able to retrofit the buttons and just use a vampire tap off the sunroof button backlight to light these as well.

LC
1636985435731.png

LX:

1636985459528.png

I applied small Glow in the Dark Dots to the Spot light buttons

Thanks to all who have commented and given their respective fixes/retrofits.

I have tentatively decided to actually purchase a 2021 LX570 Black version of the map light. I think this will be plug and play and will be a perfect OEM solution to the issue.

Here is the link to the part if anyone is interested in it. Once I get it I will report on whether it worked out. In my experience with Toyota/Lexus these kind of things are usually interchangeable between similar year Lexus and Toyotas.

Lexus OEM Lamp Assembly, Map Part# 81260-60F40-C0 | OEM Vehicle Parts - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-parts/lexus-lamp-assembly-map-8126060f40c0?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D

It's just a terrible design.

It may be possible to retrofit. The wiring harnesses are 32-pin in both the 2013 LC and LX, but the pinouts are different. For instance pin3 on the LC is used for a ground but on the LX it's used for... something in a second harness or ECU I can't immediately discern. That said you might be able to retrofit the buttons and just use a vampire tap off the sunroof button backlight to light these as well.

LC
View attachment 2839632

LX:

View attachment 2839633
Thank you for this. Is this for a 2021? Where are you able to get these? I used to have the VSM for the 2011 GX.

Thank you for this. Is this for a 2021? Where are you able to get these? I used to have the VSM for the 2011 GX.
techinfo.toyota.com

I downloaded the docs through 2018. One of these days I'll pull the 2019-2021 docs as well.

This should be a test for anyone buying a land cruiser:

Buyer: "I would like to purchase your finest land cruiser!"
Dealer: "Can you live with overhead light buttons that aren't backlit?"
Buyer: "No. Impossible."
Dealer: "Can I interest you in a LX570?"

This should be a test for anyone buying a land cruiser:

Buyer: "I would like to purchase your finest land cruiser!"
Dealer: "Can you live with overhead light buttons that aren't backlit?"
Buyer: "No. Impossible."
Dealer: "Can I interest you in a LX570?"
Map light button illumination - the real reason the LC300 is cancelled. :)

In an actual good use case for touch, there is no on off in '16+ LX.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 10.00.43 AM.png

I went looking for an LX version of the map light and got one. Unfortunately, like was shown by the wiring diagram previously I was unable to successfully install it. As soon as the car was turned on there was a "COMMUNICATION MODULE ERROR" message. None of the buttons worked either. It did fit fine!

The one I bought was for a 2021 LX 570 in black. The part number is 8126060F40C0.

The parts are the exact same size and share the same wire connector on right side. On the left side the LC200 does not have a connector while the LX570 version does.

Another note is that the build quality of the LX570 version was much higher. The sunglass storage area is low quality plastic on the LC200 version and soft touch velvet on the LX570. The little details on the LX570 are nice given that the price difference is usually minimal.

Here are some pictures showing the two different parts.

LC 200 left, LX570 right (all black one)
IMG_2835.JPEG

Right side, LX570 with extra connector
IMG_2836.JPEG

Left side, same connectors
IMG_2837.JPEG

Soft velvety glasses holder on the left (LX570), LC200 on right
IMG_2838.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom