why is my radiator hose blowing off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.iluvrocks.com
I just developed a new problem with my 74 FJ40.

The cruiser:
F engine, metal fan, 4 core CCoT radiator, I replaced all the hoses with
generic hoses I hunted down that had the right bends, and would fit.

The other week we got our first snow here in Pennsylvania and I was getting
the 40 ready for some local playing. I hadn't driven it in a month or so.
After it warmed up it blew the lower radiator hose off the center coupling
that goes between the lower Rad outlet and the water pump. It of course
drained almost all the coolant out of the system :mad:

I put the hose back on and clamped it real tight (rubber bulging around the clamp metal) with a standard hose clamp. (same one as before)
I hoped that would fix it. I noticed that there was a slight kink in the
hose as it wasn't lined up perfect. Not a bad kink, but there nonetheless.

I drove it around for about a week w/ no leaks or problems.

Then this past weekend I was letting it warm up in the driveway again and it
blew the hose back off in the same place!

The center piece *seems* factory (how would I know...) but doesn't have
the little ring lips (lack of better term) you expect on hard lines that
hoses go over. Hoses usually get clamped behind these *rings* to help keep
them on.

radhose1.jpg

radhose3.jpg

I was wondering if I had a non-standard center piece here, or if my problem lies
elsewhere.
If I need new hoses, where should I get them from?

I ordered hoses from CCoT, but they didn't line up and wouldn't fit over the center piece. That's why I went digging at the local auto parts store.

Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated as I'm sick of dumping all
the coolant all over the driveway..... I'm on a well you know... :eek:)

not sure if the center piece is OEM or not, I know there is a peice that looks kinda like that that goes there.

BUT with the lower hose your using you will never be able to keep it on, the angle is ALL wrong, get the correct OEM hose, prolly $12. I'll look at some of my 40's to see if that center part looks right.......

John

if I remember right one the end that goes on the center section is bigger than the end that goes on the rad end

From your pictures and factory line drawings, it looks like you have the wrong top hose. 75 and later have a straight hose, 74 and earlier a curved hose. Your picture looks like the top hose is new and pointing straight down. If it is a 74, it should point towards the radiator

I ordered a hose kit from ccot as well. I remember that one of the hoses in my kit didn't fit over that piece as either. I did like you did and went to napa and found the correct dia. hose with the correct bends. I haven't had any problems though. I don't know how you are tightening the clamps, make sure you are using a wratchet to tighten the clamps in stead of just a screwdriver.

here is a pic of mine on the 73....looking at your pic it looks like someone cobbled one up....as the piece on mine is pretty much a straight "T" (reduced for the heater hose) set up. That said, I don't see any reason why (even if you don't have those little bulges on the ends) your set up wouldn't work...kink in hose removed of course. I run an inline surge tank with a high pressure cap on a nasty critter. The surge tank does not have those little bulgey things. If your getting good contact area, good match in hose/fitting size, and good clamping, it should be fine. Other than that, and I hate to mention this...but the only other reason it would be blowing off would be excess pressure in the system. Typically, if working properly this would be released via the cap overflow. But I have seen and personally experienced blown off hoses. Unfortunately, this ultimately lead to a blown head gasket. Hopefully this will not be the case and it revolves around the kink and mismatched hose size.

My experience with other vehicles is that if you are blowing hoses off, you need to bleed the system. On a Cruiser, especially if you have the rear heater, make sure all of your heat valves are hopen. Park on a steep uphill, take the Rad cap off, and bring the truck up to temp. Fill as necessary. Replace the cap.

The airspace allows superheated air/stean to develop at a pressure higher than the rad cap - this can lead to the hose blowing off.

Jim

i would say get your cap tested or just get a new one if you are building up that much pressure and you cap does not release it i think that would cause your hose to blow. doesnt a cracked head cause a build up in system pressure? ??? i think i have heard that somewhere good luck

Thanks for the advice so far guys!
I *think* it's probably because I have the wrong hose...
Looking closer, I think the bottom hose is too kinked when hooked up to the center coupling. I need to figure out how to get the right hoses and go from there. I'm afraid to order them as the set I got from CCoT didn't fit.
(unless their set is screwed..... THAT couldn't happen, could it?!? :D)
I'm not afraid to pay for Toyota, but I'm wondering if I have a different pump or something?!?

My radiator cap is like a year old and is the one that came with the radiator from CCoT. It *could* be bad (I haven't tested it or anything) but I'm thinking the problem is elsewhere. I'll see about testing it.

I sure hope I don't have an engine problem! :eek: The engine is totally rebuilt, so I shouldn't have a head or gasket problem.

I'm working on 3 different cruisers currently, and it's taking me forever to get anything done :mad:

NAPA? Carquest? How about Toyota?

You can get the correct ones from any of these places...

Good luck!

-Steve

a few pics, I dug up the metal piece, its off a 67 or 74 F motor(not sure as it's a 74f in a 67 body) notice no ridge.
40495035.jpg

next is on my fj45 with a 77 2f, notice the bend in the metal piece.
40495032.jpg

last is on my 82 fj40, you will notice its yet different, the heater pipe has a bend and the hose(on the coupling end) is bigger then the rad end
40495014.jpg

OK.......I have no clue if this helps. But I would try Totoyo for the hoses, it might take a few tries to get the right hoses, but you need an upper hose with a bend in it or the coulpling with a bend. I'm pretty darn sure noting is wrong with your motor, but the kink in the hose, I suspect when the body or motor tourqes its contibuting to the hose pulling off.

John,

That lower pipe you have in the 45 was originally with the F engine that came in it. I have a few of them around here from ones that I have parted out. I am pretty cetian that it changed to the strait style in 68.

Klunky Kris:

Here ya go. 42.00us, all the hoses and clamps, and be done with it..
Not a big sor guy, but they have it, can ship it however you want it, and provided the carrier of your choice does not mess it up, you should get it..

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat054.tam?xax=14966&page.ctx=cat054.tam

Of course, unless you have damaged something becasue of this problem :'(

Good luck!

-Steve

-Steve

cuz your underwear is on to tight. check the archives. :flipoff2:

alf

FIXED!!!!
:beer: :cheers: :beer:
I hope... :D

anyway, I ordered the 2 bottom rad hoses from Toyota and installed them. I've been running for 2-3 days now and so far so good.
I think the problem was the bottom hose coming out of the radiator. I think it was kinked when hooked up and blocking flow. the pressure was trying to *straighten* it out, thus blowing it off. This is evident by the way the bottom of the bottom rad hose came off in the pic above. Notice the top (of the bottom hose) is still connected to the center section...

Hopefully that is all it is :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom