Why do a head gasket as preventative maintenance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I heard that resurfacing the head/block can sometimes affect timing. Is this ever an issue when doing a top end job on the 1fz, especially when the head is warped or the block is pitted?

Also, is the timing chain and/or guides usually replaced as part of a PM HG job?

Not sure if anyone already stated this, but you can go on Toyota.com and access your vehicles maintenance records providing that it was serviced by Toyota. I purchased a 1997 fzj80 with 347,000 from a neighbor lady, i asked if it ever had any major repairs and she said "no" I found the maintenance records online thru Toyota and found out the head gasket was replaced at 269,000. I also found out they attempted to remove the crank shaft pulley and failed, I removed my crank shaft pulley a few weeks ago (using a torque multiplier) and it took 800ft pounds to remove the nut.

Not sure if anyone already stated this, but you can go on Toyota.com and access your vehicles maintenance records providing that it was serviced by Toyota. I purchased a 1997 fzj80 with 347,000 from a neighbor lady, i asked if it ever had any major repairs and she said "no" I found the maintenance records online thru Toyota and found out the head gasket was replaced at 269,000. I also found out they attempted to remove the crank shaft pulley and failed, I removed my crank shaft pulley a few weeks ago (using a torque multiplier) and it took 800ft pounds to remove the nut.
I did that and there were just some records of seals being replaced and a “120,000 mile deluxe service”

I did that and there were just some records of seals being replaced and a “120,000 mile deluxe service”
"Deluxe Service" I've been to a few hotels overseas that offer that package.... I declined.
Well good luck man, i was definitely happy when I found out mine was already serviced, that's a lot of work.

"Deluxe Service" I've been to a few hotels overseas that offer that package.... I declined.
Well good luck man, i was definitely happy when I found out mine was already serviced, that's a lot of work.
Im not sure I will do mine tbh, that’s why I was bumping this thread. Don’t wanna open a can of worms and fix it til it’s broke, especially if it had the potential to create timing issues.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone already stated this, but you can go on Toyota.com and access your vehicles maintenance records providing that it was serviced by Toyota. ..
It doesn't always work. I know for a fact that my 1990 4Runner was serviced by Toyota for headgasket and also relay rod recall. Records at that site show nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom