Why did Toyota use a full float? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just guessing again but maybe because the 60 series had leaf springs vs coil spring and no factory locker option in the USA. Leaf springs and full floaters are better for towing. Even new domestic diesel pick-ups still come with leaf springs... I would bet that non US spec 60 series with factory lockers also came with full floaters.
Why would a full floater be better for towing? The 3/4 ton rams are coil sprung.

Why would a full floater be better for towing? The 3/4 ton rams are coil sprung.

Because of this
in a full float rear the weight is supported by the bearings and hubs of the vehicles, the axle shaft dosnt support any weight of the vehicle. ff axle the bearings are not pressed on and it is considered a heavy duty rear.

semi float the weight is supported by the bearings and axle. bearings are pressed on to the axle shaft in a semi float application and it can still be a strong set up but not as strong as a full float set up

When towing with a semi float the extra weight is distributed to the axle, a full float it puts the extra weight on the hub and tire. I can't explain the physics but the properties of a leaf spring better help a semi float axle handle the extra weight of towing.

Leaf spring and semi float equal coil spring and full float.

Does the 3/4 ton Ram have a full float or semi float? What about a 1 ton Ram leaf spring or coil? Also remember the Ram is made by the same company that makes Jeeps. SUV advertised for offroading that suck at offroading and trucks advertised for towing that suck at towing.

Because of this

When towing with a semi float the extra weight is distributed to the axle, a full float it puts the extra weight on the hub and tire. I can't explain the physics but the properties of a leaf spring better help a semi float axle handle the extra weight of towing.

Does the 3/4 ton Ram have a full float or semi float? What about a 1 ton Ram leaf spring or coil? Also remember the Ram is made by the same company that makes Jeeps. SUV advertised for offroading that suck at offroading and trucks advertised for towing that suck at towing.
I understand the difference. but a full float will not inherently tow better. Itll just last longer. Yes the 3/4 ton ram has a full float. Im not a ram fan, but do hey suck at towing though?

Because of this

Ram trucks suck at towing? That's new to me

Im not a ram fan, but do hey suck at towing though?

Ram trucks suck at towing? That's new to me
Haha, I really have no idea lol. I just love poking fun at anything made by Chrysler or Fiat or whatever company happens to be making jeeps at the moment. I mean come on, this is a land cruiser forum....

One December night in 1991, after a late night dinner in Toyota, Japan and watching Die Hard for the 15th time on laserdisc....

Toyota Engineer 2, What do you think? Do you think Accounting will notice?

Toyota Engineer 1, Hold my Yamasaki 18......

Last edited:
All the new 'light duty' utes/trucks such as Hilux, Ranger etc have semi floaters. The only factory semi-float Aussie truck I've seen is an early FJ45 SWB. The majority of 40s, all 60/70/80 etc had full floaters here.

My JDM import HJ61 had a semi float rear. I'd be curious to know how/why Mr Yota differentiated between different markets and what to supply.

One December night in 1991, after a late night dinner in Toyota, Japan and watching Die Hard for the 15th time on laserdisc....

Toyota Engineer 2, What do you think? Would Accounting will notice?

Toyota Engineer 1, Hold my Yamasaki 18......

this!

the real question is why did they go semi-float after the 80s? i guess someone in accounting must have noticed.

this!

the real question is why did they go semi-float after the 80s? i guess someone in accounting must have noticed.
Well before and after 80s. The 80 is the outlier in the US. So what gives other than a few shots of sake and an oiled up Bruce Willis?

would love to know why the decision was made but am afraid we never will know!

Well before and after 80s. The 80 is the outlier in the US. So what gives other than a few shots of sake and an oiled up Bruce Willis?

Man! Homie, don’t you watch The Fast and the Furious?

The 80 was far from an outlier. This is a popular topic on all Japanese car boards. From 1995 to 1999 Japan bestowed upon the world. The finest and most advanced vehicles known to man at the time.

Honda: NSX, Integra, Prelude, SLX (actually a Trooper.

Isuzu: Trooper, that Amigo thing, Vehicross.

Mazda: RX-7, Montero, Miata, 3000GT

Nissan: 300Z, Skyline, Silvia, Frontier

Toyota: Land Cruiser, Supra, IS

Then Hans Gruber negotiated the release of The Asian Dawn (see Time Magazine)...

Seriously, it’s been well published that Japanese manufacturers realized that making Halo cars for the American market didn’t have the same ROI as mid range SUVs.

II figure they did just to piss off Land Rover!

I understand the difference. but a full float will not inherently tow better. Itll just last longer. Yes the 3/4 ton ram has a full float. Im not a ram fan, but do hey suck at towing though?
A full floater will not tow any "better" than a semi float. But they are "better" for towing because they will last longer and if you tow too much and break an axle they are much easier to repair.

A full floater will not tow any "better" than a semi float. But they are "better" for towing because they will last longer and if you tow too much and break an axle they are much easier to repair.

Also, if you break an axle on a full floater, the tire stays on the hub.

The cone washer system actually works really well PROVIDING you know how to service them. The issue is the thick headed monkeys with sledge hammers who have no idea what their doing who smash the hubs trying to pop the cone washers out....

The heavy blows damage the face making it no longer perfectly flat, meaning the load is transferred into 1 or 2 studs instead of all 6, hence leading to failure.

Also, being here in Australia I’ve never seen a landcruiser with semi float axles (and I’ve seen/own a lot of em)
Sorry to hijack the thread. Can you please explain the correct way to service the cone washers?

Sorry to hijack the thread. Can you please explain the correct way to service the cone washers?
Probably not bang the hub with a hammer. You could use OTC 7077 Axle Stud Cone Pliers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom