Who Owns Tan Bed-lined 40 series?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I was enjoying a burger the other day at Brewer's Cabinet in Reno, and I saw someone drive by in a tan colored 40 series Cruiser that appeared to be 'painted' with some sort of bed-liner or other durable liner.
I thought it looked pretty sharp and I had already been considering doing it for my 60 series wagon.

Does anyone know who owns that fj40? I would really like to get in touch with them and ask them some questions about their process and see if they have any pointers for me.

Thanks,
-Gary

I have seen that one around as well. There's a fellow BBCNN member with an orange 40 that was Raptor lined. I have a box of tintable Raptor Liner on my shelf, just trying to decide on the appropriate color. I am probably going with some sort of green. Here are two shots (though not TLCs) that inspired me to do Raptor Liner:

full

(This might be LineX, but the effect is the same)

full

Here is a video on LineX Ultra, same concept. Easy maintenance, improved panel protection without using bash plates.

Do a Google image search for Raptor Liner and you'll see some sharp examples. There are quite a few videos out there too. It is quite versatile and very forgiving when it comes to application. It doesn't run or fade and can be tinted in virtually any color you want. It can be applied in several different textures depending on PSI level and can be reduced and shot on with a LVHP paint gun if you want it super fine. I will share shots of mine once I finally get around to doing it.

I know John M in the club has his covered in that stuff. I think it works pretty good. Justin who used to be in the club did his 80 in white. I think he is on this site known as justintpryor. He is in some old posts. You should PM him- he's cool and should be able to help you out. He moved back to commiefornia. Him and his Dad just got the wagon run thru the Con for Rubithon. Which reminds me. Are you getting close? Fall run?

Haven't seen that one but have seen a couple different Samurai and Heeps locally that have done it (as well as a family friend that owns a truck accessories shop that did it to an 80s burban and the jeep). Most people like it if they use their trucks a lot but @justintpryor and I talked about doing it for my 60 and he was completely against it! I was personally looking at @magnetman product Monsta-Liner that is UV stable.

Anyways, main thing to remember is to get proper adhesion of the liner you need to ensure that you have properly prepped the surface. Can't tell you how many threads I read through that people did it to xyz vehicle only to have it start peeling off a year later. They start to blame the product but when you do some investigation you find they decided to cut corners on the prep and the product didn't adhere. Look in the Paint & Body forum for the Monsta-Liner thread and you will see lots of info.

Thanks for the info guys! That raptor liner might be a good fit for me.

My plan is take my truck down to bare metal, cut and fill/repair rust holes (Canadian bj60) and then prime it followed with raptor liner potentially in a two-tone red and black scheme. I may be wrong, but it appears I can also clear coat my job for better UV protection/permanence of liner.

My truck is currently painted with rocker guard liner over barn paint over what I can only assume is damaged original paint. All of this is thanks to the previous Canuck owners (God bless them all :p)

I will look into the prep thread but I think if I do go the direction I’m currently planning, I can at least hope for good adhesion.

Does anyone have thoughts regarding my plan?

-Gary

Last edited:
20140167_877859549018999_1341474058676913973_n.jpg

Here is my 80 covered in white bedliner. I chose monstaliner becasue I saw other people have good success with it. It was cheap compared to a new paint job. All said and done was around $350. At the time I was going to UNR and had little money so it was a great option for me as I knew the 80 was going to get hard use. Its been almost 4 years since I painted it and it still looks bright white. Its getting rough in a couple places becasue of dents by rock or armor getting flexed into the body but it will do for another 4 years.

You are not going to get 25 years out of any bedliner paintjob no matter what they advertise. I would not do anything but real paint to your 60 unless you plan on beating it up on the trail.

IMG_20180619_150020.jpg

@justintpryor

To preface, I am currently a UNR student and I don’t want to go through the expense and worry of actually painting my 60. It ooks like you are having good success with the bed liner on the 80, so why wouldn’t you recommend it for my 60?

My truck isn’t clean or In Oem condition and I definitely don’t want to be worrying about a pretty paint job when I splash diesel all over the side of it while filling up...

-Gary

Gary, do you have the black bj60 off of college?
If that is your truck, I lived around the corner from you, we have talked before.

and If that is your truck, yeah take it down to the metal and slap better liner on it. I thought you were going to cover up original 60 paint with liner.

60s look so classic now, covering up paint original paint with liner makes me cringe.
My dads diesel 60 needs paint, I wont let him liner it.
IMG_3650.JPG

Are you planning to get something that rolls on? or spray? Do it yourself?
Masking will take an entire day.....and I would remove everything you can, grill, lights, door handles, wipers ect...

If you are looking at the red/black paint schema look up Marley in the 60 thread, Jason's truck @reevesci. He sold Marley a while back but it was that color scheme if I remember correctly (painted though, not liner, there is another 60 owner with a 4BT truck that did his in liner, just can't think of his name, military guy).

Anyways, I am going to plan to paint my 60 in a few weeks here. Actually going to buckle down and take care of the rust that I have left, swap over last door then prep the entire truck for a garage job with a single-stage enamel (farm implement) paint. When I do so you are welcome to head down to Carson to see the effort and whatnot. Really, if you are doing yourself you will end up being about the same amount of effort and money as painting yourself, but that also depends on having the proper equipment to paint vs. just rolling the truck. @justintpryor you rolled your truck or did you schutz gun it? Can't remember but know that we talked about it last year.

If you are looking at the red/black paint schema look up Marley in the 60 thread, Jason's truck @reevesci. He sold Marley a while back but it was that color scheme if I remember correctly (painted though, not liner, there is another 60 owner with a 4BT truck that did his in liner, just can't think of his name, military guy).

Anyways, I am going to plan to paint my 60 in a few weeks here. Actually going to buckle down and take care of the rust that I have left, swap over last door then prep the entire truck for a garage job with a single-stage enamel (farm implement) paint. When I do so you are welcome to head down to Carson to see the effort and whatnot. Really, if you are doing yourself you will end up being about the same amount of effort and money as painting yourself, but that also depends on having the proper equipment to paint vs. just rolling the truck. @justintpryor you rolled your truck or did you schutz gun it? Can't remember but know that we talked about it last year.

Goss was a complete liner job-- red and black

P1030308.JPG

Marley was a BC/CC paint with black linered lower trim

dscn3051-jpg.658497

Both of those look really nice.:banana: I could live with either. The liner on the bottom is where it should be for rocks and such. Craig in the club is currently scraping off the liner that was on his 40. It turned pink. He could tell you better but he said it was a real sh-t show getting the stuff off so he can paint it. Plan on it being permanent and how do you fix it if you dent it? And what will it look like after patching?

I rolled it on

That tan 40 was probably Rob, he lives about 2 blocks away from Brewers Cab. He just had that (yellowish) tan oversprayed on the Red Rhino Lining he had done in the late 90's. If if was more brownish tan, and speckled, it may have been me in my Desert Camo Zolatone as I have rentals in the area that always need attention. WHICHEVER direction you take, I highly recommend a good PPG epoxy primer to protect the metal.

Gary, do you have the black bj60 off of college?
If that is your truck, I lived around the corner from you, we have talked before.
and If that is your truck, yeah take it down to the metal and slap better liner on it. I thought you were going to cover up original 60 paint with liner.
Are you planning to get something that rolls on? or spray? Do it yourself?
Masking will take an entire day.....and I would remove everything you can, grill, lights, door handles, wipers ect...
Hey @justintpryor . Yeah I definitely talked to you once, I am the owner of the black Bj60 so you know what i'm working with :p I plan on a DIY Spray Job. I'm going to have all of the glass taken out too so I can do a real good job

If you are looking at the red/black paint schema look up Marley in the 60 thread, Jason's truck
Anyways, I am going to plan to paint my 60 in a few weeks here. Actually going to buckle down and take care of the rust that I have left, swap over last door then prep the entire truck for a garage job with a single-stage enamel (farm implement) paint. When I do so you are welcome to head down to Carson to see the effort and whatnot.

Thanks for the tip on that truck @gregnash , I think @reevesci 's truck was subconsciously my inspiration as I have definitely seen it before on the forum. When you're finished with your truck I would love to come check it out.

Goss was a complete liner job-- red and black

View attachment 1736986

Marley was a BC/CC paint with black linered lower trim

Great looking truck @reevesci! Do you have any advice for when I go to liner my truck? How did you do the two-tone? What liner did you choose to go with for Goss? Did you clear-coat it too?

He could tell you better but he said it was a real sh-t show getting the stuff off so he can paint it. Plan on it being permanent and how do you fix it if you dent it? And what will it look like after patching?

@Krusty Krab My truck is currently painted with janky rocker guard and barn paint before that. I'm totally okay with putting in some extra effort to clear coat my job and keep it nice and red if all goes well. In terms of body work, I'm really not too stressed about it. Anything is an upgrade from here :p

That tan 40 was probably Rob, he lives about 2 blocks away from Brewers Cab. He just had that (yellowish) tan oversprayed on the Red Rhino Lining he had done in the late 90's. If if was more brownish tan, and speckled, it may have been me in my Desert Camo Zolatone as I have rentals in the area that always need attention. WHICHEVER direction you take, I highly recommend a good PPG epoxy primer to protect the metal.

@psreno Thanks for the info, It was a brown sort of speckled looking rig. The front windshield was down if that helps narrow things. I'm certainly going to primer my truck first. Do you have any advice on which ppg primer to go with?

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm more excited than ever to get this painted now!

-Gary

[QUOTE="GarrettS,

Great looking truck @reevesci! Do you have any advice for when I go to liner my truck? How did you do the two-tone? What liner did you choose to go with for Goss? Did you clear-coat it too?

-Gary[/QUOTE]

G,

Goss was Monstaliner. PREP, PREP, PREP.... and take your time. I prep the day before and then the next morning do a final wipe down before rolling the liner. The liner self levels, the longer you wait to do the final rollover per coat the rougher it will be. I like a medium texture because IMO it looks better and it washes easier. The rougher the texture the more dirt and road salt get embedded in the sharper/jagged profiles.

I put 1 tack coat and 2 finish coats on. The tack coat is very sparse and NOTHING is fully covered, just a nice profile for the 1st finish coat to really adhere to. No clear coat on Goss (red/black 60)

J

Body work and epoxy primer laid down.

P1050285.JPG

Tape off

P1050571.JPG

Main coats finished (I did jambs too)

P1050603.JPG

Let it all dry, come back day two... cut in tape lines and lightly scuff red liner at tape/color overlap. Re-tape and add next color.

P1050627.JPG

All done!

P1050656.JPG

@reevesci

Looks great! You may be convincing me to go with Monstaliner instead of Raptor liner. I'm sort of torn between spray and roll on. Spray almost seems like it could be easier or more controllable for me since I know jack crap about rolling stuff on.

Any thoughts? Is Monstaliner sprayable? Would I/should I reduce it?

Thanks, and sorry to hone in on your rig so much but you seem to have things figured out.

-Gary

@reevesci

Looks great! You may be convincing me to go with Monstaliner instead of Raptor liner. I'm sort of torn between spray and roll on. Spray almost seems like it could be easier or more controllable for me since I know jack crap about rolling stuff on.

Any thoughts? Is Monstaliner sprayable? Would I/should I reduce it?

Thanks, and sorry to hone in on your rig so much but you seem to have things figured out.

-Gary

I've done 6 Monstaliner jobs now, never used any other brand.

I rolled all of them. I tried to spray the tack coat down on Goss and it reminded me of acoustic popcorn drywall texture. Plus the crap went everywhere, I cleaned it off the wall 10' up.... I'll never use the spray application again. I immediately rolled the laid down spray to lighten the texture. Plus I noticed a lot of air bubbles in the liner using spray and it's very minimal rolling it. Rolling it is very controlled and I like that I can manipulate the texture with the roller.

J

Yes, I thinned it approx. 10% IIRC.

I believe I used a PPG epoxy primer, K series hi-build if I remember correctly, but my body was not smooth and had a lot to cover up. And if the windshield was down in town it was definitely Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom