Who is Familiar with Death Valley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm headed out to DV on Friday.

What is the easiest way to get from the Ubehebe Crater/Racetrack area northwest to the Eureka Valley Sand Dunes at about N 037° 06' 21.76", W 117° 39' 14.72"

There will be a fairly stock 4R in our group so I can't do anything difficult but would like the shortest, mild/easy route if that is possible. I think I can go into Saline Valley and cut over, but need to confirm.

You can take lipencott from the dry camp just south of the racetrack over to Saline Valley road and then head north. that's how I typically go between the two, but I also like the slow roads. you can also take Death Valley road north and then to the west to Eureka Valley road. However, last time I attempted this route the roads were closed due to a massive flood (Fall of 2015). Enjoy. DV is the greatest. Oh, and in my experience a stock 4runner can take you to most areas of the park.

I did all those roads in a stock suburban with 245/75/16 tires. No problem.

Next winter I will be doing all those roads in a full size chev van.

Thanks for the info. Had a great trip. Started in Eureka Dunes. Went south through Steel Pass (not bad but not passable in stock 4x4) and into Saline Valley through Warm Springs. Went up Lippincott into the Racetrack and attempted Hunter Mountain, but there was just too much snow. Got to about 1/2 mile from the peak and got tired of plowing, winching, strapping, etc... Had to go back through the crater and finished up at the Kilns.

_MG_1080-1 copy.jpg

_MG_1090-1 copy.jpg

_MG_1234-1 copy.jpg

_MG_1241-1 copy.jpg

_MG_1294-1 copy.jpg

Also, on the way down from the Kilns we took Wildrose which is reported as closed. At the campground, the gate is open, so we tried it. But, at the bottom there is a gate and k-rails blocking the road, which is odd because it is an easy drive on the road that got covered by debris by heavy rains. Not any more difficult than any other overland dirt road in the park. So, went around the barriers and saved about 1-1/2 hours in drive time.

Last edited:
Nice pics! Few years ago with Dan and Ryan, one of the coldest nights I spent camping was above the Kilns. That was at Thanksgiving time.

Every night temps were in the low 20s. A 1-gal water container froze solid and at the racetrack, and everything left out was covered about 1/8" of frost and ice. At the Eureka Dunes, it poured rain the night we arrived. Rough conditions, but an amazing trip. Really wish we could have made it over Hunter Mountain.

Every night temps were in the low 20s. A 1-gal water container froze solid and at the racetrack, and everything left out was covered about 1/8" of frost and ice. At the Eureka Dunes, it poured rain the night we arrived. Rough conditions, but an amazing trip. Really wish we could have made it over Hunter Mountain.

One of my first solo "overland" trips ever included pretty much the same route you just described. Hunter pass was more of a serendipitous exit from the park, as I swore I would never drive the racetrack road again. It sucks. Anyhow, I had a crude USGS map and tons of supplies, so I just started heading in that general direction and ended up where saline hits the highway. It really shows you another side of the park... Bristlecones, mountains, views; Hunter pass is probably my favorite drive in the park. I am glad you had a great time, despite the cold weather!

1FZj80 didn't you go with us in 2012? Ah what a great trip. Very cold and before I learned the importance of cold weather gear. That site above the kilns the coldest night I've ever had and I definitely was not prepared. Good to see the kettles up at the junction, they were all taken down when we rolled through :(

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Man was that 2012 that we did that trip? I didn't think it was that long ago. Guess we need to get out there again soon.

I did 3 DV trips last year and was in the worst wind storm I have ever seen. 70-75 MPH winds that made it impossible to sleep in my RTT due to the noise and fear of ripping it off the truck. Ended up pulling everything out of the truck and sleeping inside.

I am ready for another trip there since I missed the Desert Rendevouz 2017 sign up. Just went in Nov but want to go again because of the rain and have time to burn. Anybody game?

awesome pics!

1FZj80 didn't you go with us in 2012? Ah what a great trip. Very cold and before I learned the importance of cold weather gear. That site above the kilns the coldest night I've ever had and I definitely was not prepared. Good to see the kettles up at the junction, they were all taken down when we rolled through :(

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Man was that 2012 that we did that trip? I didn't think it was that long ago. Guess we need to get out there again soon.

I did 3 DV trips last year and was in the worst wind storm I have ever seen. 70-75 MPH winds that made it impossible to sleep in my RTT due to the noise and fear of ripping it off the truck. Ended up pulling everything out of the truck and sleeping inside.

Yeah, that was a great trip in 2012. The weather really changes DV from year to year. Already planning another visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom