Who has been to Buckeye Hot Springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heading up to Mammoth for the annual ski trip and was going to spend a night @ Buckeye Hot Springs. I was looking to see if anyone had any info on this place?

Thanks,
ken

I've camped there many times as a waypoint between So Cal and Reno. You can bag free camping along the road both sides of the creek, and right at the creek crossing (not a lot of flat space there). You can also drive up the creek 1/4 mile for pay camping, State park I believe, regular toilets/table/fire pit deal. If you just want to soak, there is a flat area to park on the north side of the creek, about 1/4 mile east of the crossing. Have fun!

Cool , Thanks!
How far from where you can camp to the springs?Where do you think the best place to camp?

Thanks again,
ken

What route do you use to get there?

I've camped there many times as a waypoint between So Cal and Reno. You can bag free camping along the road both sides of the creek, and right at the creek crossing (not a lot of flat space there). You can also drive up the creek 1/4 mile for pay camping, State park I believe, regular toilets/table/fire pit deal. If you just want to soak, there is a flat area to park on the north side of the creek, about 1/4 mile east of the crossing. Have fun!

Cool , Thanks!
How far from where you can camp to the springs?Where do you think the best place to camp?

Thanks again,
ken

What route do you use to get there?

The springs are not far from anywhere you camp along the road (~1/4 mile). if you camp at the actual trailer park, its about 1/2 mile. The fire road in to the springs can be accessed from the north or south, you choose! Have fun, B.

When I ski at Mammoth, often I will stay at the hot springs that are out on the flat. Instead of turning west into Mammoth off 395, you turn east. There is a swimming pool complex, but if you go past that towards Owens River there are dozens of hot springs, some little more than mud pools, some rather nicely built up and temp controlled. All primitive camping for free.

Down past Bishop is also Keough HS, but that may be a little farther out of the path. Instead of the pay2play hot springs, if you follow the power lines north you will come to a series of hot pools. Hot Creek doesn't have anyplace to camp, and it's not all that hot either.

It has been more than a decade since I've done that, so things may be a little different.

Skiing? Summer just got here!

true, tons of hot springs east of mammoth. one we like is quite a bit east, maybe 40 minutes from mammoth - Benton hot springs. there is a B&B there, old timey and affordable, with nice tubs all around the property, and radiant heated floors (nice winter treatment) - we like to ski mammoth, have dinner in town, then drive out to the "country" for the room. they also have a camping lot in back and each campsite has its own tub. never tried that but it looks like a good and cheap option too...

Thanks for all the info!!
Ended up hitting Benton and did the campground w/ tub. It was killer! big thumbs up from the :princess::princess:
We will be back! but never made it to Buckeye, called the ranger station and confirmed my suspicions that the river /creek was high and flowing through the tubs = COLD!

Thanks again!
ken

BTW Skiing was excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom