Who Drives a 07+ Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Looking at upgrading my tow vehicle and the 07+ Tundra CrewMax is one of the top options. I would be towing up to 8K. So the 5.7 would be the one I would get. Other options are a Cummins (5.9), F150 Ecoboost, and maybe the 1500 EcoDiesel. And even a 200 series, although I am not sure how well this would tow.

I'd like to hear reports on how it tows, any problems you have and your overall experience.

I have a 2010 5.7 and had an '08 5.7 until my son totaled it. I've been happy overall, they tow great, fuel economy is a little worse than my Prius, but I just discovered rust in the bed where it attaches to the frame.

I have a 2008 5.7. Tows great.

Not sure if you have made a choice at this time. I have a 07 5.7 crewmax tundra since Feb 08. Now with 149k miles with no problems. Prior to it I had an 04 duramax crew cab. I feel that is pulls comparable to it. I have had my tundra loaded with a tractor weighing 9000lbs for a five hour ride. Yes with the trailer weight I was probable over weight. But the Tundra did not disappoint. Hope you find this helpful as this is my first post.

I have a '14 Tundra Crewmax. I occasionally pull our RV trailer (about 6,000#) with it. It's a good puller. I talked to a friend of mine that has had a lot of GM trucks; I was thinking of switching to a GM diesel. He told me that for my purposes I'd be better off sticking with the Toyota. He said the diesels are darned expensive to maintain. So, I'll stick with my Tundra.

I have 36,500 miles on it, and it's very hassle-free. It has only one issue; a rattle under the hood somewhere that I have never found the source. Oh well.

Hope this helps.

As with most answers, we need to know more from you to be exact in the details. Like what are you expecting to tow? Weight, and aerodynamics? What type of terrain, hills or flat land. Also what speed to you expect to tow? And what kind of fuel mileage do you want?

I have a 04 cummins that tows a 32' toy hauler in the hills, I expect to be able to keep up with traffic at all times. And get such good fuel mileage that it actually makes fuel. Inside joke among diesel owners.

Not sure if this helps or hinders your decision, but my only concern with my '07 2wd Crewmax is when I'm not towing or hauling something. It's pretty lite in the rear end, so it has a tendency to spin out fairly easily on wet roads and especially ice. Had to have my father in law pull me off some ice in his flat driveway, with his Jeep...

Here's my trailer:

IMG_2920.JPG

What are you towing and how often?

'14 Crewmax TRD with 5.7. I have a 31' NorthTrail Trailer that is 6,800 dry, 8,200 loaded. The truck handles it fine with the family on board. We are pushing max payload and the truck never skips a beat. Towing milage is averaging 8.5 mpg over 20+ trips through the hills.

Just to close this, I picked up a 2007 5.9 megacab. Not as refined as a Toyota but man I love this diesel.

i have a line on a 2007 from a long time customer. have to go look at it, but hearing that most are pleased with the towing ability, i'm really hoping it's the 5.7 and the price is right. ;)

Just picked up a '12 Crew Cab / Rock Warrior (5.7) - have yet to hitch the boat to it but been in it when used to pull a heavy trailer & 4 snow machines (~3500#?) -it's excellent even with the 35" tires on stock gears.

My boat / trailer is about 5500#'s - and it gets dumped in some inglorious boat "launches" that aren't concrete ramps, but the biggest expectation is for better highway towing than the 80. The 80 did it, but 55-60 was all of top speed you wanted to do, the trailer has its' own brakes so at least the tow wasn't all on the 80's braking.

I'll post more / take a few pics prob this week - it's got some lift & such, would be nice to identify how much I'm lifted etc.

My issue with the Toyota I had, was the suspension wasn't heavy enough for my towing duties...So I bought a real 3/4 Ford IDI...

i had one of those "real" fords...that's why i drive toyotas ;) had three fords now and the only toyota i've found as evil is my 4runner

i had one of those "real" fords...that's why i drive toyotas ;) had three fords now and the only toyota i've found as evil is my 4runner

Don't get me wrong, my Tundra was a great truck, but it's not a 3/4 ton truck. More like a heavy duty 1/2 ton...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom