1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Air Compressor?

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by Nomis, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Nomis

Nomis

I need a compressor for home use that will run a HVLP gun at around 7-8 CFM @ 40-50 PSI. Both of the following from Sears and Home Depot respectively, are oil-lubed, cast iron pump compressors. Which would be best for this? I don' t have room in the garage for a 60gallon compressor at this time. The unit from Home Depot looks remarkably similar to a Ingersol-Rand compressor - minus the price. What are your thoughts?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...ir+Compressors+&+Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

http://www.homedepot.com Couldn't link directly for some reason. Enter the following in the search section - this is the sku: 723883

Ingersoll-Rand (for comparison purposes)
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_207226_207226

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. fj40charles

fj40charles

Sears compressors are made by DeVilbiss.

Home Depot compressors are made by Cambell Hausfeld.

3. Nomis

Nomis

Whick would you prefer and why? Thanks.

4. fj40charles

fj40charles

I'd buy the one from Home Depot since it has a cast iron cylinder and it has a verticl tank. Verticle tank should drain the water better.
    I would call/visit different Home Depots to see if they have a display or customer return model. They're generally much cheaper, but have the same warranty.

Also, I know the customer service at Home Depot will be better than Sears. Sears customer service really stinks after Kmart bought them out. I don't shop much at Sears any more.

5. Nomis

Nomis

Yeah, I missed the part of about "cast iron cylinder sleeves" on the Craftsman - screw that. I guess the unit from Home Depot would be my best bet for the money - unless someone else has any suggestions on good compressors for around $400. Thanks.

6. fj40charles

fj40charles

Another plus for the Husky model. I believe these will take 120 or 230V.... If you get 230v into the garage, it would be better to run with higher voltage.

7. Nomis

Nomis

You're right - it does say it's convertable to "240 volt/7.5 amp operation". I wonder if this would work with my dryer hookup in the garage with some sort of adapter?

8. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Yes-I did exactly this. The drier circuit is normally 30 amps. I opened the wall, turned the outlet around and plug in my 2 hp (30 gal tank) compressor into that. I have found already that a bigger compressor would be nice, but this one was free, and other than a small oil leak at the compressor crank seal, it works great.

What I have learned shopping compressors, is that you generally get what you pay for. The CH compressors labled "Husky" put out fairly oily air. THe price is pretty good, though. THe Sears models have a poor reputation and I would avoid. And I would avoid any "oilless" compressor for shop use.

Compressors draw about 4.5 amps per HP on 240v, so plan your circuit accordingly. Many companies are deceptive about HP rating-look for running amp draw to figure it out.

If you have the $$, a 2 stage compressor is better than a single stage. Slower rotational operation is generally better too, as is a longer duty cycle. For instance, most of the single stage IRs can operate continuously, ie 100% duty cycle. They are about the only one.

Of the Compressors out there, the IR is a pretty safe bet, and I am intrigued by the Eaton Compressor website. The old names like Curtis and others make very good but pricy compressors.

You will also need filters, and pressure regulators, and hose reels and fittings and.....Trust me here, double your compressor budget to get fully set up. If you want ideas on piping the air in your garage, I just went through the exercise and know enough to be dangerous.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  9. Nomis

Nomis

Thanks Drew. I really don't have the space for a larger compressor at this point so a 25-35 gallon will have to tide me over until we move - which could be years from now. In the meantime I have some projects to get done and need a compressor that I can move around the garage as needed. The Husky doesn't list a duty cycle - so I'll check it when I look at it.

10. OLDNSLO

OLDNSLO

Media:
    Albums:
    I just found a 60 gal. 7.5hp single stage compressor at lowes dirt cheap. 240.00 out the door. It was a model that has been redesigned (changed the cage) so they were closing out. reg. 575.00. I'm in the process of piping 240 to the garaqe.

Brian

11. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

My guess is that your compressor is not really 7.5 HP. That would be pretty big. I'll bet it's 7.5 peak, since most of the specs out there are wildly inflated. Look at the air delivery at 90 psi. That is a more realistic # to compare compressors. For that price, though, if it works at all, it's a good deal.

If it really is a 7.5 HP compressor, your amp draw will be 7.5 X 4.5 which is north of 33 amps, so you'll need a 50 amp circuit to run it. Good score though.

12. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

My experience is the opposite. I like Sears but some of their product lines are losing their appeal when they transfer production to China.

Sears advantages
    - they will have parts in the future
    - Great online/phone parts help
    - they have dedicated repair centers in most cities (parts again and usually knowledgeable staff)

Home Depot may be able to forward you to the original manufacturer but they make no effort to service what they sell.

13. Nomis

Nomis

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the IR at this point and waiting for it to go on sale at Northern Tool. If I can't find a better price I may just get the Husky and run a decent filter to remove the "oily air" and water.

14. fj40charles

fj40charles

Here is my experience.. I recently purchased an angle grinder (Ridgid R1000, made by Metabo) which was a display model. This was the last one they had in the store and was discounted (paid $35.00 instead of $89.00)... It was missing a couple of parts so I asked the HD employee.. He said to call Ridgid and tell them what is missing and they'll ship it to you free.

I called Ridgid this Monday 8/21/06. I gave them the part number, serial number of the unit, my name and address.

I look outside my door today , Wednesday 8/23/06 and I see a box with an Airborne express sticker. It was the parts that I needed.

I don't know about you, but this is pretty good customer service. I was very much impressed.

Home Depot may not have an in house repair facility, but they get pretty good service from the vendors because they are such a large buyer.

15. fj40charles

fj40charles

I have the 60 gallon IR unit that I bought from Northen tools. I waited until they had their 20% coupon.. Also, if you sign up for the credit card, they'll give you additional 10% on the first purchase.

16. Nomis

Nomis

Good to know - where does this coupon show up? Is it in a local flyer or on their website once a year, how does it work? Thanks.

17. fj40charles

fj40charles

It shows up in the newspaper or a local flyer.. Seems to happen once or twice a year.... Maybe they'll have one for labor day..

18. Alz Toy

Alz Toy

Heres another option you might want to think about. I have a compresser that runs off a gas engine, came off a tire service truck. Something like this could be put outside the garage under a shelter, and no electrical worries. Big enough to bust loose/tighten lugnuts on an 18 wheeler, and air up the tire. Might look around for something simular. Al

19. honk

honk

Media:
    Nomis,

Do you mind my asking what HVLP paint gun is specified to run at around 7-8 CFM @ 40-50 PSI?

Such a gun would be a godsend to millions of home shop painters as last I knew the lowest volume good quality gun in the market was the now discontinued Sharpe Platinum that required 10.3 CFM to mix properly. There was a Devilbiss model that was close at 11 or 11.5 CFM called the 'fineline' or something like that but it was IMO mediocre quality for using plastic threaded nozzles or some other internal pieces.

20. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

for me the best compressor is the quitest one. Generally nobody will use a home compressor to the point it wears out fully. ie in the compressor. Sure switches go. but the oiless ones are damm noisey. So loud that you want to use anything but your compressor. In a small space such as a garage it is overwhelming.

the large style compressors that have a belt drive to real compressor, seem quiter. As opposed to the oiless scream machines.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">