1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to route wires to large rear door?

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by damienperu, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:46 PM.

1. damienperu

damienperu GOLD Star SILVER Star

Would anyone with factory rear wipers be so kind as to show via photos exactly where Mr. T chose to put the cable grommets on the body and the rear door for the factory wiper wiring?

I'm doing some mods to my rear back door that requires power and I think that Mr. T probably gave it more thought (and testing) than I'm capable of in terms of finding where the flexing cable stress would be the least.

2. 61Mk+

61Mk+

Hello Damien,

All the wiring going to the back of my Troopie sits in a sort of trough that is at the same height as the rain gutters. So, above your windows, run your fingers there and you'll find it (them, i'm assuming there's the same thing on both sides). My wiring is run up the A-pillar, but not inside it, which would be a much more elegant method.
    I like to think another route would be at the bottom of the body sides, however considering that moisture (so i was told) would fall to that location, and drains for that are are located there, that may shorten the life of the conductors' insulation; i've no personal experience with that.
    Hope that's useful.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    damienperu likes this.
  3. damienperu

hey thanks, but i was talking about running wires out of the body itself, through the air and then into the large rear door, just as the small rear door has for the licence plate lights, so i'm wondering where would be best to drill the holes for the cable grommets.

I can't see any marks under the paint that would indicate where it would have been drilled, but the factory location would be best, so hopefully someone with wipers can chime in and send me some photos of where the grommets are

4. richj11

richj11 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    If no one else chimes in, I'll take a look at mine when I get home tonight...

damienperu likes this.
  5. richj11

richj11 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    DAE89F4B-7853-480C-AFA6-2C4B979DEA2F.jpeg 28737B2B-FD8A-4758-A4F1-B536C3CE0FF7.jpeg
    This is on my JDM BJ73

damienperu and coldtaco like this.
  6. damienperu

Thank you sir!!!!!!!!!

7. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    How does the positioning look on the troopy window? Its not going to get the top part of the window if you are using a SWB or MWB wiper, but I suppose it wont matter.

damienperu likes this.
  8. damienperu

I'm not retro installing wipers, going to do something custom that requires 12V, i just knew that the rear wipers were the only factory accessory that required power into the door. I had a look at my door and its exactly the same as the JDM BJ73, so will work a treat using those points

richj11 likes this.
  9. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Except that the top half is 100mm taller on the troopy. Although this shouldn't make a difference to the sweep of the wiper.

10. damienperu

i'll never know cause i'm not installing wipers, only talking about the section of interest in the photos where the grommets are

11. JuanJ

JuanJ

Media:
    Albums:
    Hello,

Just for reference, the rear wiper on SWB and MWB models is 60 mm / 2 3/8 in. shorter than the front wipers.

Since the rear door is taller on Troopies, I guess a 410 mm / 16 in. or longer wiper will fit.

Juan

damienperu likes this.
  12. damienperu

I guess someone could check the part numbers and see if they vary, as the troopy comes with rear wipers in some models. If I was retro fitting I'd just buy the troopy ones