where to mount relays for light systems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Kind of a trivial question about wiring. I have HID lights up front on my bumper and i am about to add a light bar on the roof. The HID lights are wired with the Slee harness. It is all kind of the normal set up with power from the driver side battery, relay near the battery, switched power coming off high beam and the only wires run into the cab are for the switch which is wired to a re-purposed OEM fog light switch. Works just fine, most of the wiring is near the battery.

Since that install i added a Blue Sea constant power block under the center consoled that is wired straight off the batt (fused of coarse). I am about to add a roof mounted light bar to the system. I am thinking the switch will go in a custom lower consoled area. Than makes me think if i pull power from my blue sea block and put the switch in the lower center consoled, run light bar wires out the back. The only wires under the hood would be the trigger 12V from the high beam. I could mount the relays in the cab near the blue Sea block.

Then i started thinking i would like the harnesses, switches, relay to all match. I could redo the HID/Slee harness with one like i have for the light bar. Pull all the power from the in cab blue sea, mount both relays in the cab, short wires to both matching switches in the lower center consoled.

Does that sound like a OK plan to run lighting power from the blue sea block or does it need to come straight from the batt? Is it better to have the relays in cab or does it not matter? Should the ground go straight to the batt or is a good bolt on the chassis fine?

I have a feeling this is kind of just all personal preference. But what do you guys thiink? Really it would just shift some wiring "stuff" from the underhood to inside cab.

On the battery hold-down strap is one idea - depending on your battery size.
upload_2017-11-5_6-1-5.jpeg

upload_2017-11-5_6-1-33.jpeg

I epoxied a piece of 1/2" wood with a groove in it for the bolt heads to the back of the hold-down so that they do not rub against the battery.

I got the idea from a post by jcardona1 so cannot make any claims for originality.

Last edited:
For my accessories I run this waterproof relay/fuse box:
Relay Combo Panel - Sealed Mini Fuse & ISO 280 Mini - Partially Bussed

It uses these small internal relays:
ISO 280 Micro Relay with Resistor - 12V DC, 20/35 Amp

The fuse box/relay box can handle 80 amps, so I feed it with one of these installed near the battery:
EATON Hi-Amp Manual Reset (Switchable) Circuit Breakers - Surface Mount

You can get mounting feet for the relay/fuse box, and in our 80's we mount them next to the air clearner, toward the battery. In my 60 I mount it between the air cleaner and the firewall. The nice thing about the box is that it is "partially bussed", meaning power coming from the battery feeds 10 circuits into which mini fuses go. So, you send power out from a circuit there to your in-cab switch, and bring it back to trip the relay, and then the relay's main power also comes from another fused circuit that is right in the box. And as I said before the 80 amp line feeding it is fused with a circuit breaker near the battery. That breaker also has a manual trip so that I can disconnect the juice to the box without having to take wires off.

The wiring is a bit more complicated because it doesn't spade terminals, rather Metri-Pack tangless connectors. But the end result is a nice waterproof and compact power distribution network.

For my accessories I run this waterproof relay/fuse box:
Relay Combo Panel - Sealed Mini Fuse & ISO 280 Mini - Partially Bussed

It uses these small internal relays:
ISO 280 Micro Relay with Resistor - 12V DC, 20/35 Amp

The fuse box/relay box can handle 80 amps, so I feed it with one of these installed near the battery:
EATON Hi-Amp Manual Reset (Switchable) Circuit Breakers - Surface Mount

You can get mounting feet for the relay/fuse box, and in our 80's we mount them next to the air clearner, toward the battery. In my 60 I mount it between the air cleaner and the firewall. The nice thing about the box is that it is "partially bussed", meaning power coming from the battery feeds 10 circuits into which mini fuses go. So, you send power out from a circuit there to your in-cab switch, and bring it back to trip the relay, and then the relay's main power also comes from another fused circuit that is right in the box. And as I said before the 80 amp line feeding it is fused with a circuit breaker near the battery. That breaker also has a manual trip so that I can disconnect the juice to the box without having to take wires off.

The wiring is a bit more complicated because it doesn't spade terminals, rather Metri-Pack tangless connectors. But the end result is a nice waterproof and compact power distribution network.

I just bought all 3 is there a special crimping tool i need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom