Where to buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are going to get either an LX/Cruiser/MDX for my wife. We have 35k give or take---I tried to convince her how nice the tundra double cab is but got shot down..... I have been watching ebay--this looks to be the best deal for the 100 series and LX470---when I bought my 80 I called a ton of people with low ball offers---even got yelled at a few times :rolleyes: but the price difference for the LX470/LC is big on ebay--any other places I should be looking? I figure the longer we wait the better chance we have of getting a 2003(side curtain airbags). Also it sounds like this year there is going to be a big power boost for the Cruiser? We live in Mexico so location is not important--I just want to purchase the truck from a salt free zone...... The roads are bumpy here the LX would really shine.

It is said by members of the board in different threads that Texas is supossed to be a very good option price-wise. Also, no salt/rust. I live in Texas myself and when I was looking, I couldn't find many with lockers. In a newer LC/LX, it will not matter, because they are not longer an OE option.
By the way, I lived in Mazatlan many moons ago (1998) for about 9-10 months. Being young and single at the time, I really enjoyed it.

If you're looking for something in the 03 range, salt/rust shouldn't be much of an issue no matter where you buy. I live in KY, and we use salt on the roads. However, I wouldn't worry about it with a vehicle that new. I have an 01 and it doesn't have any rust yet. I looked for about 3 months when I bought mine in January. I found several well maintained 00-01's under 70K miles under $30K in the southern Ohio/Northern KY area. I used www.autotrader.com and had much success. Good luck on your new purchase.

I think you'll find your best deals on eBay. For some reason I get the feeling that a lot of dealer cars are on there as a "last resort", because they were for some reason unable to sell them off their lot due to market, gas prices, whatever. Anyway, you see dealer cars on there with a "buy it now" price way cheaper than you'll ever see on a window sticker.

Check TX, NM, AZ, and CA since they are closer to you. Tons of great 100's in TX. Ebay isn't a bad way to buy if you have someone who can inspect the vehicle for you.

If you find a vehicle in San Diego, I may be able to take a look at it for you. The prices seem real good in TX though.

mtycruiser said:
It is said by members of the board in different threads that Texas is supossed to be a very good option price-wise. Also, no salt/rust. I live in Texas myself and when I was looking, I couldn't find many with lockers. In a newer LC/LX, it will not matter, because they are not longer an OE option.
By the way, I lived in Mazatlan many moons ago (1998) for about 9-10 months. Being young and single at the time, I really enjoyed it.

It would be tons of fun to be single down here....if one could do it over again. Thanks for the tips regarding Texas---For my wifes car stability control is more of an interest than lockers--we can always add arb when I take it over! My 80 currently has dual lockers and I have 4.88's to install when the tires arrive..... Thanks for the tips.... :)

Thanks for all of the replies and Calamaridog I appreciate the offer.

Another option would be to buy a new Cruiser--if the pics are correct I'm not liking the looks of the new future version very much. An 05 would be very refined--do you think toyota does the 1.9% financing on these at the end of the year?

Last edited:
I stumbled on an LX at a Lexus dealer after checking three states for LCs and never getting lucky. Besides being happy with the LX ('00 w/47K miles), I like the fact that the dealer had just done the 45K service and the 100K total mile/36 month warranty was included as part of the "Lexus certified" pre-owned program. Dealer even ground the rotors and took care of some other nits I noticed prior to the sale. Price was below BB. Couldn't be happier.

I finally bought a 02 LC in Sacramento after some list people checked it out and I sent Ben to get inspect and buy it if it was good. I searched for about 2 months and every time I did a Autotrader search this one showed up but the picture was really bad and I discounted it every time. Finally I had to pull the trigger so I called them and ask for some more pictures. They send me some that was not really better or did not show what I wanted. Then Ernie went to check it out and told me it was clean for a 90k mile car.

I can not be more happy. This car has never been on a dirt road and the bottom of it looked new. This turned out to be a blessing when we had to install the turbo. It was not detailed, it has just never been dirty. I looked at a 2nd one in SoCal as well, same year 40k less miles, but on the photo's it showed tons of rock chips and rust on the front A arms. Passed on that one.

So you just never know where you will find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom