Where does the red SOLENOID POWER wire connect to? Using EZ Harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm maybe close to half way through re-wiring my entire '65 FJ40 with a 76ish 2F engine and I've run into some trouble.

I'm using a 21 circuit EZ-wiring harness. I tried to get a hold of EZ, calling several times on two seperate occasions this week and unfortunately, for some reason they did not pick up their phone.

In the mean time, I'm hoping one of you friendly FJ pros could give me some advice on my predicament here.

I need to know where the RED SOLENOID POWER wire goes...that'd be this one below...
IMG_7954_zpsemjq8qzx.jpg

IMG_7955_zpsoleh66on.jpg

The only "Solenoid" existence that I am aware of in my car is the "Starter Solenoid" so I feel like a pretty good assumption of where this goes is on the main post of the Starter Solenoid...? By main post I just mean the same threaded post on the starter solenoid that the Positive Battery Cable connects to.

So that would be this post in the center...or does it go somewhere else?
IMG_7922_zpskx1imtbc.jpg

Any advice would be truly appreciated!

God bless!

I installed a ez kit in a Ford pickup. Nice equipment with a crappy wiring diagram.

I think the red wire is the power wire that runs from the ignition to the starter. It would connect at the blade connector on the left hand side of your picture. Only the heavy cable from the battery will connect to the threaded post.

I installed a ez kit in a Ford pickup. Nice equipment with a crappy wiring diagram.

I think the red wire is the power wire that runs from the ignition to the starter. It would connect at the blade connector on the left hand side of your picture. Only the heavy cable from the battery will connect to the threaded post.

Thanks so much for the input! Super helpful. Seriously can't thank you enough! I'm a total resto noob so all advice is really appreciated.

Ok, so then I think that would answer the question to the other thread I just posted about my purple IGN START wire as well!

And yeah I agree. Pretty crappy diagrams.

Thanks again. :cheers:

Well, I guess that red wire runs from the fuse box to the starter to feed it power. The purple wire excites the starter and would connect to that blade connector. Ez wants you to feed all systems thru the kit so that they don't have to explain how to wire a starter from a battery.

Good luck and ask lots of questions :)

Do you know where the other ends connect?

I would think the red wire goes from the ignition switch to the solenoid blade connector.
Purple wire goes from the coil to the green wire on the starter solenoid (ballast resistor bypass).

Purple is the ignition switch wire when in the start position.

The red wire is unnecessary in this example because the starter receives power directly from the battery thru the middle terminal.

The purple wire just tells the starter to turn over.

Hope I'm right or I'm going to be flogged by forum regulars !

OEM carburetors have solenoids on them - just sayin'

Well, I guess that red wire runs from the fuse box to the starter to feed it power. The purple wire excites the starter and would connect to that blade connector. Ez wants you to feed all systems thru the kit so that they don't have to explain how to wire a starter from a battery.

Good luck and ask lots of questions :)

The red wire does run from the fuse box but I'm getting mixed reports on it's use in my situation...

And yeah, that's what seems to be the theory on the purple IGN START wire...

Thanks

Do you know where the other ends connect?

I would think the red wire goes from the ignition switch to the solenoid blade connector.
Purple wire goes from the coil to the green wire on the starter solenoid (ballast resistor bypass).

The end of the red solenoid power wire runs back to the fuse box...

The end of the purple ign start wire runs back to the ignition switch but it looks like it bypasses the fuse box entirely...

Purple is the ignition switch wire when in the start position.

The red wire is unnecessary in this example because the starter receives power directly from the battery thru the middle terminal.

The purple wire just tells the starter to turn over.

Hope I'm right or I'm going to be flogged by forum regulars !

That's what I thought but when I turn the key over my starter isn't making any noise, not even a click sound....which leads me to believe that I am definitely missing something, which might be that solenoid power wire....so are you saying that it is basically useless in my situation? Do you think it would hurt to try it out anyways?

ok. I agree with txnight.
Purple wire from the ignition "start" to the solenoid lug and then you have the main battery cable going to the solenoid stud..right?

Gee there's another guy with questions about red ignition wires on a different thread...

Wait a minute! that's you there, as well? Don't you think this should be all covered in one thread?

By the way, did you find the paperwork yet?

EZ makes a generic harness and one that is designed to be plug compatible with a GM steering column. Neither one will work with a 65 FJ40 without a lot of custom work that requires intimate knowledge of the wiring schematics. The EZ way would be to swap in the GM steering column, but you would still have 15 more circuits than you need or know where to put them.

Gee there's another guy with questions about red ignition wires on a different thread...

Wait a minute! that's you there, as well? Don't you think this should be all covered in one thread?

By the way, did you find the paperwork yet?

You're hilarious. ;)

Well, fact is, I typically do compile a long laundry list and wordy discussion of all of my stuff in one thread, but I have found out that sometimes things get lost and buried beneath the conversation of other topics and not everything gets touched on. And technically, that thread is about the purple wire, not the red one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Would you like for me to upload the diagrams I'm using?

EZ makes a generic harness and one that is designed to be plug compatible with a GM steering column. Neither one will work with a 65 FJ40 without a lot of custom work that requires intimate knowledge of the wiring schematics. The EZ way would be to swap in the GM steering column, but you would still have 15 more circuits than you need or know where to put them.

Right. Ok, good to know. Thanks for the input!

So which one are you using? The generic one where you have to custom wire all of the original switches or the one where you just plug it into the GM steering column?

So which one are you using? The generic one where you have to custom wire all of the original switches or the one where you just plug it into the GM steering column?

I'm pretty sure I'm just using the generic one that I am customizing...I didn't realize that there were different kinds. This is what mine looks like.
EZ_zpsm9f6utl6.jpg

Your kit will work just fine. Keep breaking it down one wire at a time and keep good notes.

Purple: start position of ignition to left blade on starter.

Red wire: do not use. To provide power to starter use a battery cable from the positive side of the battery and connect it to middle connector on starter.

As someone else mentioned you are going to have several circuits unused when you finish this job.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Bill D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom