When to change oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! Im new to this forum, i used to use the forum at Sor.com. Anyways, im from Perth, Australia, and i have a BJ40 Landcruiser. It is my second car and often doesnt get driven for months at a time, until we go away camping or go off-road. I use a good quality oil (Penrite) and i know they usually say to change your oil around about every 8000k's, however for me to do 8000k's may take a couple of years! I was wondering, is there a time frame i should go on? How do i know when it should be changed? Thanks

Ryan

hey Ryan ,i only drive my fj40 in the summer(to cold for convertable in winter up in canada)so i to only put on a few miles each year. i usually change the oil once each spring as well as grease it and check level in tranny,tcase and axles.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably change engine oil and grease the zerks before every/every other trip, depending on how far apart they are, and how long/arduous the trips are and at least check tranny/transfer/diff oil before every trip, changing those perhaps every other year. I am somewhat anal about changing oil, I like doing it, and you can never change your oil too much, only not enough.

supposed to be something like once a year, but it really wont matter too much, I am a bit lax because changing the oil takes a fair while for the filters to drain and I end up getting oil everywhere and my Bj40 uses over 11 1/2 litres for a full refill. I usually do mine between 10-16 thousand, and use Castrol RX Super. Which reminds me, I must do it this weekend, anyone have any suggestions about what to do with the used oil soaked toilet rolls for disposal?

Sam
'79bj40
Brisbane

Those oil-soaked toilet rolls would make good fire-starters for the wood stove, eh?  Coming into winter down your way....

Hey, Ryan, check out the chat section. There's a few aussies using the board here.

I tried that with one of the last ones. After 3 hours I put it out, good smoke beakon though. Just out of interest Ryan, what weight oil do you use? 15w40? or 20w60? or something else?

Sam

Engine Oil should be changed every 5,000km or 3 months, Which ever is first. Becouse of the little use, You could change the Oil every 6 months. :stupid:

The Fuel Filter should be changed every 10,000km or 6 months, Which ever is first. Becouse of the little use, You could change the Fuel Filter every 12 months. :slap:

I am currently using Valvoline XLD 20W/50, But next time I will put in Valvoline Super Diesel 15W/40(20L for $69.95 from Super Cheap Auto). :bow:

For better Oil Filtration use a Z131A instead of a Z9. :D

A more appropriate Forum to use is: http://forums.overlander.com.au My name is Pukenin there.

Thanks for all your help guys. I use 20w-60 oil.
Can you tell if the oil is still good by looking at it? It still seems pretty thick. Anyways its been a while so i might as well change it to be on the safe side. I just scanned some pictures of my car going through some mud if anyone wants em!

Ryan

Can you tell if the oil is still good by looking at it?
No.

20W/60 is too thick unless you do 100% Highway Driving.
Manual Reccomends SAE30 and 15W/40 or 20W/50 as alternatives.
I have found 20W/50 just slightly too thick. So I reccomend 15W/40 CH-4 or the Japanese equivielent(Only Manufacturers are Penrite and Valvoline).

Thanks for all your help guys. I use 20w-60 oil.
Can you tell if the oil is still good by looking at it? It still seems pretty thick. Anyways its been a while so i might as well change it to be on the safe side. I just scanned some pictures of my car going through some mud if anyone wants em!

Ryan

sorry bout posting twice. Damn, i just brought about 10 litres off that stuff. Is it really that bad? How does it make a difference where i drive the car? Usually when i take it out, its for a long trip on the highway before we do some serious 4wd'ing.
Next time i will get the 15w-40 for sure.

SAE30 is fine in an Engine that runs at constant Temperature and RPM.

W/60 is twice as thick as SAE30 - I think it is the amount of Time(Seconds) it takes to flow down a Tube.

15W/40 is closer to SAE30 than 20W/50.

W/60 would be all right for use on the Highway, Becouse of the speed your BJ40 is traveling(Air flow through the Radiator Cooling the Radiator) and being in fourth Gear the enigine is operating at a high RPM(Fan spins at same speed as Engine). Thus the temperature of the Oil will not heat up enough to get to W/60.

If it makes you Happier: Penrite reccomend 25W/60 for the B in a Daihatsu Delta. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom