When heatshrink won't work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
So, I've been using a conductor/connector coating material for quite a while. Was just prepping some cables today and figured I should post up the product description and how it can be used.

Most of the time I will use heatshrink with the meltable inner liner, this works great when the shrink range allows it to conform around the connector end and the cable. But, sometimes only thin wires are needed for a job (few hundred mA for relay coil etc), and heatshrink won't work.

There are some liquid 'tape' type materials out there (marine stores), but they aren't quite as good as what I've been using.

Picture of the product below and an example of its use to seal crimped connector ends. I also like to dab some on the exposed wires on ring terminals and other open/exposed crimps. Prevents and corrosion over time.

con_coat.jpg

It cures pretty quickly, just a few minutes for a coating and not many more minutes when used to 'plug' up a connector opening. It remains relatively flexible so will allow a wire to move around but still provide a good seal.

Around $15 for the bottle (cap has an applicator 'brush' inside). Attempt to not inhale the fumes - quite volatile and will likely kill small endangered species so get it before CA bans it :)

cheers,
george.

Thank you for posting this, nice solution! I use their silicone conformal coating for RC stuff, wondering it it might be as useful/applicable - will try it now!

So, I've been using a conductor/connector coating material for quite a while. Was just prepping some cables today and figured I should post up the product description and how it can be used.

Most of the time I will use heatshrink with the meltable inner liner, this works great when the shrink range allows it to conform around the connector end and the cable. But, sometimes only thin wires are needed for a job (few hundred mA for relay coil etc), and heatshrink won't work.

There are some liquid 'tape' type materials out there (marine stores), but they aren't quite as good as what I've been using.

Picture of the product below and an example of its use to seal crimped connector ends. I also like to dab some on the exposed wires on ring terminals and other open/exposed crimps. Prevents and corrosion over time.

con_coat.jpg

It cures pretty quickly, just a few minutes for a coating and not many more minutes when used to 'plug' up a connector opening. It remains relatively flexible so will allow a wire to move around but still provide a good seal.

Around $15 for the bottle (cap has an applicator 'brush' inside). Attempt to not inhale the fumes - quite volatile and will likely kill small endangered species so get it before CA bans it :)

cheers,
george.

As a nerd that actually enjoys modifications that require electrical/wiring work - this is great! Thanks for sharing.

Some more good info. Thanks, George. Have a bottle waiting for a project.

I use a blue magic liquid electrical tape on my connections. Certain brands just look like rubber cement with coloring in them. The brand I use dries out rubbery, it is a thick consistency. I slather it all over the damn place, and it goes on connections that are exposed to road salt and chemicals.

I like the stuff you posted though. I will have to order some to keep in the tool bag. Especially with winter coming. Thats usually when stuff starts missbehaving, never when the weather is nice and dry and warm. Also the bottle looks better, the one I use comes in a metal can, and sometimes dries out early.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom