Wheeling in Washington (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Hey guys, soon I'll be in Washington for a few days and was hoping to get some camping and wheeling in while there. I'll be around Wenatchee (likely a bit west), and have at leas 1, maybe two nights.
Any recommendations for something not too hard since I'll be wheeling solo.
And I guess I need that discovery pass to enter pretty much any piece of green space in Washington, right? Does that cover wheeling trails or are there other permits I need?
Thanks
Mat

Glenn knows all about that, but he is in Utah right now. He might check his
email if he is some town wifi spot.
My experience is that you need the Washington Discovery Pass to stay in a
State Park. I think if you simply drive through the trails, you might not need
a pass. It's good for a year anyway. Sometimes it's hard to find a pass if you
wait 'till the last minute because those small town stores close early.

I sent him an email but have not heard back, that explains it. I haven't camped in the US before so I don't know how restricted the camping is. I assume it's not like here and I can't just pick a spot by a creek that seems nice. The pass is $33 for the year, so it's not that bad, costs less than the ticket in case I need it.

The Discovery Pass is to enter WA state land and is included if you pay to camp in a State campground. However you can camp on Federal land generally for free, but in high use areas they will want you to stay in designated campgrounds. Camping as we do on Crown Land in BC is called 'dispersed camping'. There is National Forest land and BLM land you can camp for free - good wheeling near Natches and Liberty. Stop in at any Ranger station - very friendly folks.

Call Carl at Just Differentials in Wenatchee - they all wheel and I saw him at CM2017 two days ago.

how was it?

It sucked!
Went to the Gorge, which is basically like Churn Creek area ....but about 20 times bigger. The trails kept on going and going and the views were annoying nice. The wind was a bit of a pain, and the US regulation for not being able to have a camp fire were very annoying. I didn't want to risk pissing off any officials there since I don't know how things work.
the grand canyon of the north by Maciej (Mat) Radoszewski, on Flickr

We spent two days and one night in the area and I managed to find the only muddy trail, which resulted in me being uphill, off-camber, fully locked, one wheel in the air and close to tipping. Brilliant move on my part since no one was anywhere close by and there wasn't even a shrub to winch off. But the truck did exactly what I built it for, rescued my dumb ass :D

endless trails ahead by Maciej (Mat) Radoszewski, on Flickr

vast spaces by Maciej (Mat) Radoszewski, on Flickr

At one point we went from about 25C to about 3C and encountered snow going sideways. Which was interesting since we were at about 1000m. This was followed by a decent into a valley and back to 25C. Had flashbacks of previous Chinahead trips.

solo by Maciej (Mat) Radoszewski, on Flickr

yep - whole new world down there...
Campfire restrictions are usually related to local fire risk and vary by land status Federal e.g., - BLM, NFS, NPS and state land- as in BC campfire bans posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom